Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cookware -- What bird safe material for what use?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Cookware -- What bird safe material for what use?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon May 17, 2010 4:33 pm

On the Green Gourmet review thread Michael wrote:
Personally I hated cooking on stainless steel and found cast iron to work much better and eventually develop non-stick capability. Here's an article I wrote about my experience with Cast Iron.

I think cast iron and stainless are both good materials but they do different things, so I decided to start a new thread instead of tagging this onto that discussion.

I actually find my stainless a lot easier to clean than my cast iron -- I can put it in the dishwasher! If that doesn't get it clean, I can give it a rub with barkeeper's friend and then it's shiny and new. It's fairly nonstick when shiny, but if it is allowed to build up a film of old dead oil, it gets sticky, sort of the opposite of seasoning. Michael, you said you didn't like how the food cooked on your stainless -- did you get good-quality stainless with a thick aluminum-sandwich bottom? If not, it may very well not have heated uniformly. Good stainless cookware is actually quite expensive! I would agree that cast iron is one of the few cases where a really good piece of cookware isn't terribly expensive (but you need to season it properly and that's a fair bit of work). The skillets I have came well-seasoned and aren't too hard to clean, but they do need to be scrubbed with a minimum of soap and water and dried thoroughly. The grill pain is a pain in the nether regions to clean, it has very high ridges and stuff gets trapped in the grooves. It is finally getting seasoned enough to release without multiple scrubbing, unless the cheese from the cheeseburger falls down there. All my cast iron gets spray-oiled and heated to the smoke point after each wash before being put away.

Mostly, I think different materials are suited to different jobs, if you are serious about cooking, you will probably acquire pieces in different materials. For the most point, cheap cookware doesn't give good results -- if it isn't heavy-bottomed with a conductive core, it's not going to perform well on the stove top because it won't heat uniformly and hold heat well. Sure, you can boil water in a cheap saucepan, but anything much beyond that and you'll feel the difference. IMO it is better to have one or two really good pieces than a full set of not so great cookware. I currently own and use cookware in all of the following materials and they each have their unique properties and best uses:

Set of stainless steel -- general purpose boiling, steaming, smmering, soups, sauces, pasta. The two skillets don't get used very often because I have better alternatives.
    Cast iron skillets and grill pan -- on-stove "grilling", cornbread, burgers. Cast iron has some "stick" browns well and goes stove to oven readily. I tend to feel cast iron is sanitary but not really clean and you don't want to boil liquids in it, it's good for searing and baking fairly dry foods that will form a sear layer or crust.
    Anodized aluminum skilled and general purpose slightly round-bottomed covered pan -- this stuff has a really good sear factor, in some ways better than cast iron, but unlike cast iron can then be braised or stewed in without an issue. The round bottomed pan works well as a mini-wok for stir frying. This stuff will REALLY grab cold food... unless you let it sit until it is nice and brown where it contacts the pan it will stick like crazy. If you apply some benign neglect, it will sear over nicely and then it will release an can be turned without seeming like velcro.
    Enameled cast iron dutch oven -- the gold standard for brown and braise or brown and stew. All the heat-retaining properties of cast iron without having to worry about seasoning or limiting contact with liquids. Best with medium high heat, not super-hot temps, then can simmer nicely for hours
    carbon steel wok and paella pan -- needs seasoning but not to the extent of cast iron. Traditional materials for these traditional cooking vessels, but admittedly these are specialized. Someday I may get a stainess-clad paella pan, but these are expensive and I only make paella a couple times a year.
    bird-safe creamic nonstick -- go to for low-heat, low or no fat sauteeing, eggs, delicate sauces, fish, anything you don't want to put a sear on that might tend to stick and fall apart. Only item in the above you can use to cook food "dry" without adding fat except the grill pan (and I usually lube that up a bit, too). Can go stove to oven.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Cookware -- What bird safe material for what use?

Postby pchela » Mon May 17, 2010 5:53 pm

This is an awesome topic Entranced! I think it will help a lot of people.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby MandyG » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am

Great post! Especially great for people like me that don't have a clue where to start when it comes to cooking ;) .

I'd just like to add that my husband absolutely loves his cast iron pan. He uses it all the time for searing meats and uses it in the oven. He actually likes it more than our old non-stick pans now. We also use stainless pots and a skillet. He's looking for some good quality stainless steel pans too.

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Michael, you said you didn't like how the food cooked on your stainless -- did you get good-quality stainless with a thick aluminum-sandwich bottom? If not, it may very well not have heated uniformly. Good stainless cookware is actually quite expensive!

It's definitely important to get good quality stainless cookware! It can be great to use when you have some that's good quality. Some of the best chefs out there swear by stainless! Believe me, my husband watches the Food Network for hours and hours :) . Do your research though, getting a really cheap set will lead to dissapointment.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lzver » Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

What a great post entrancedbymyGCC. There is definitely a need for good information like this. I know I spent quite a bit of time researching my options before I bought new skillets and cookware.

Just a few weeks ago I got a great Stainless Steel skillet - it was regular $120 onsale for $30. So far I haven't had any problems with food sticking. We got a really good Stainless Steel Pots/Pans set (Logastina) as a wedding gift a few years ago and I swear by them. The only thing I need to replace now is my non-stick muffin and cake pans ... I don't get an opportunity to bake very often, so I'm not in a rush to replace them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Ballen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi I really need some help, I have been using non stick cookware around my bird ( I know shame on me) I honestly did not know and feel terrible about it but am really happy that she is alive still. I am shopping for all stainless and cast iron tommorow. My question is does any one know about crock pots? I have purchased one from Walmart but dont want to use it if it will release any toxins that can kill my bird. Does any one know a good brand and if they are safe???? Thanks Brenda :senegal:
Ballen
Parakeet

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:42 am

Crock pots are usuAlly ceramic, and if the crock inset is, you are likely fine. To be safe, check with the manufacturer for any PTFE compounds. As far as I have been able to research, the deal is the the PTFE-bearing material does have to get pretty hot to outgas--the tricky thing is that On a cooktop you can get parts of a pan much hotter than you realize during normal cooking.

So you probably have done no harm but are now taking the safer route.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:09 am

entranced, wouldn't a ceramic crock pot also be safe because they are designed to cook w/low heat?
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:13 pm

Jenny wrote:entranced, wouldn't a ceramic crock pot also be safe because they are designed to cook w/low heat?

Theoretically, but if it is maintaining heat by cycling the element full on and full off, which most do, if there were PTFE components close to the heating coils, they could potentially overheat. So if you want to be truly paranoid, you could check with the manufacturer. I'm less paranoid than many, and I wouldn't give a crockpot a second thought unless it had an obvious coating, it seems like a quite unlikely item to be problematic, if that helps. But some people want to be as careful as possible and I don't know without a doubt that all models are completely PTFE free. Things like waffle irons and electric woks/skillets/grills are a much more obvious concern.

My big horror is my oven, which I can't actually not use. The manufacturer has actually said that the coating in the oven contains PTFE, so I worry about roasting and broiling, and I've yet to use the self clean feature since we've had the birds. When I do, they'll be outside or at work, but I've yet to determine how much ventilation would be needed to have confidence about any exposure. I think many here would not use it any more at all, but I don't find it practical to be oven-less, so I worry a bit, turn the fans up, close the bird door, etc. Maybe I'll get motivated and look up the papers on PTFE fumes and build myself a meter.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Theoretically, but if it is maintaining heat by cycling the element full on and full off, which most do, if there were PTFE components close to the heating coils, they could potentially overheat.

sheesh, I didn't even think about there possibly being PTFE components close to the heating coils. :roll:
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Ballen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi thanks for the info I contacted the manufacturer and they said that its ceramic and their is a glaze. I asked for specs of glaze and the girl did not seem to know. But said they have had no issues with birds dying. I am living in a very small space with my bird , so I am concerned. I open windows and turn on fans when cooking just to be safe. Thanks for the replys. :airmail:
Ballen
Parakeet

Return to General Parrot Care