Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Article: The Parrot Within

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Article: The Parrot Within

Postby lzver » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:51 am

Just read a really good article called 'The Parrot Within',
http://www.pipress.org/2010/04/the-parrot-within/

It talks about their intelligence, how they deal with being captive animals and the emotion they are capable of feeling.

As a side note, the author mentions a book called 'The Parrot Who Owns Me: The Story of a Relationship' by Joanna Burger. I finished reading this book last month and it fascinated me with just how deep a bond between human and parrot could be. I found it to be not only an educational book, but also very touching.

And lastly, I really liked this quote from the article:

“Through our birds, we can instill in others the importance of being at one with the natural world. We can use our association with certain birds in our home to show how birds have an intelligent awareness that equals our own. They are therefore as deserving of respect as any human being — more so, some might say, since they are at one with their world. We are not ….

We can educate our children and friends’ children by showing them the intelligent, thinking actions of our parrots. We can explain that they have the same emotions as us, the same ability to think through problems, and revise their behavior accordingly … They recognize individual people as readily as we do, just as they recognize individual members of their flock … We can learn to communicate with them, and they with us …

They deserve our respect; they are not automatons; they are beings covered in feathers who learn … how to use and perfect many skills. They give immense pleasure to countless humans. Alas, comparatively few humans give joy to parrots.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Article: The Parrot Within

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Good cause, terrible anthropomorphism.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 pm

Where's the anthropomorphism?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Kim S » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:38 pm

What's anthropomorphism?
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby HyperD » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:13 pm

It is applying human characteristics and behaviours to everything else that isnt human....
HyperD
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Kim S » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Thank you.

The article in itself is very good though. Makes you wonder about some things we take for granted. Like mentioned in the article, we have 'breeding' birds and 'pet' birds. I was wondering whether we really treat them differently. I feel the only difference is that our petbirds have us to interact with, the birds in the aviary have eachother. Otherwise they get the same kind of food, the same toys ect.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Return to General Parrot Care