Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bringing a new parrot home

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bringing a new parrot home

Postby Tallcurt » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

I have a 1 year old double headed Amazon Parrot I have fallen in love with my feathered best friend.
But something I did not expect is that my little sister has also developed a love and passion for parrots
And her birthday is coming up in a few months and I want to take her to get her a baby parrot.
I am trying to stay positive but I am afraid that our parrots will not get along, she wants a parrot that is a little bit smaller than my amazon. I have been doing a lot of research but the only thing I can find is how to introduce them and not as much information on what parrot will get along with my amazon.
Does it not really matter as long as we are monitoring them at all times when they are near eachother?
We will keep them separated but it would be nice if the parrots will get along.
Any help is welcome; thank you for taking the time to help!
Tallcurt
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double yellow headed amazon
Flight: No

Re: Bringing a new parrot home

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:09 am

Welcome to the forum. Now, to be honest, the best bird for your sister and the other bird would be another amazon. I realize that she chose another species but, when it comes to parrots, it's always best to choose what would work out best for everybody. Keeping parrots is VERY hard when done the right way. Doing it wrong (diet, light schedule, etc) is easy and you can get away with it with a baby bird but, once they become adults (your bird is a juvenile, not an adult), the owner pays the price for it and ends up rehoming the poor thing. I do not want to disappoint your sister but parrots hardly ever work out with young people so one needs to try to find the species that will suffer the least. You see, young people cannot really commit to keeping a pet for the next 40 or 50 years. It's not a matter of a lack of love, dedication or anything, it's a matter of the reality of our lives. Young people do not have a 'stable' life - they need to finish their education, go out socially, get a job, get their own families going, etc. and none of these things are conducive to keeping a parrot happy because a parrot needs hours and hours of company, a strict solar schedule, a daily fresh food diet (and amazons in particular are not easy to feed right) and an strict daily routine that never, ever changes. All these things are VERY hard for young people to sustain for years and years and years... The good thing is that you got an amazon and they are more independent than other species BUT even amazons suffer from loneliness... The other good thing you have going for you is that amazons always get along with other amazons - even if they are not of the same species. And there are so many different species to choose from that I am sure your little sister can find one that she likes. Introducing them is easy. All you have to do is find another juvenile (under 2 years of age) and, after quarantine (which should be, at least, four weeks), you put them in the same room but in opposite corners. Do the out-of-cage/fly time at different times but make sure the one that is out does not perch on the cage of the one that is caged for about a week or so. Then allow them out at the same time (under close supervision, of course) and you will see that they gravitate toward one another. All amazons love other amazons and having two of them bonded will make things much, much easier on you, your sister and the birds. So, please, try to convince your little sister that she needs to look at the big picture and not only what she prefers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care