Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Getting another kakariki

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Getting another kakariki

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:02 am

Awwww, they are BEAUTIFUL! I wouldn't have chosen the same mutation because it's easier to tell them apart when they are different colors but it's not as if you will not be able to do it - you'll just have to get close and look carefully :D

I don't know where you are located exactly but I am afraid that coming home at 5 pm is not going to work out for the birds during the winter months because it's usually very dark by then. My birds get their lights turned off at 3 pm and fed dinner at around 4 pm during the short days of winter. Keeping them up with artificial lights will screw up their endocrine system and mess up a million things in their bodies: sleep pattern, appetite, cell renewal, sexual hormone production, immune system, etc. Birds evolved to follow a strict solar schedule (research avian photoperiodism. avian endocrine system and avian reproductive system) - they are not like dogs or cats that can live under a human light schedule...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care