Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Strange behavior

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Strange behavior

Postby Sawteld » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:19 pm

For the past week my 4 year old female bluffon has become EXTREMELY needy. She is normally on her play perch doing the day but this past week I cannot do anything without her wanting to be on me. I cant even sit for 5 minutes without her climbing on me, cook etc. I have had to put her in here cage just so I can get things done. Tonight she started with the baby head bobbing and baby noise. I am at my wits end. Any clue what his going on and what if anything I can do? Have added toys, moved toys etc. :cry:
Sawteld
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Bluffon macaw
Flight: No

Re: Strange behavior

Postby Pajarita » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 am

Welcome to the forum and don't worry at all, the behavior is perfectly normal for her age although not for the season if you live in the Northern Hemisphere. What you are describing is breeding behavior. Macaws become 'teenagers' when they are 1.5 to 2 years old but they only start to breed when they are 4 or 5 years old so, as she already 'decided' that you are her mate (if you cannot be with the one you love, love the one you are with, right?), she is now 'asking' for breeding. She wants to be with you ALL THE TIME, she asks you to feed her in her beak, wants more petting, etc. and no amount of toys, food or different placement of anything is going to make any difference - it's hormones and you won't stop the flow of them by doing or giving her anything different than what she is used to.

Now, if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, this is NOT the season for her to become hormonal (all macaws are long day breeders) so you need to re-evaluate her light schedule because not doing this will mean she will become overly-hormonal - which doesn't sound good but it doesn't sound too bad, right? Only it is. It is to the point that there are behaviorists that actually call this state "toxic hormonality". The reason for this is that an overly-hormonal bird is not only unhealthy (it means that their endocrine system is screwed up), the bird is also in pain (from gonads that have grown to an abnormally large size) and in intense sexual frustration (she is aroused 24/7 to a great degree with no relief). If you are in the Southern Hemisphere, things are good and this will only last until the end of January.

In the meantime, try to be patient with her and give her more attention because this is not misbehaving or something that she can control. She is doing what her body is asking her to do. If you are in the Northern Hemisphere, please put her immediately at a strict solar schedule with 2 hours of dawn and dusk every single day (no exception!) and make sure she is not exposed to any light whatsoever once it's dark outside (research avian photoperiodism, avian endocrine system and avian reproductive system) and reduce the amount of protein she eats every day (diet should be higher in protein in the spring and summer and lower in fall and winter).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care