Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Have questions about chipping/leg rings

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Have questions about chipping/leg rings

Postby tedmik » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:08 am

I've had my Umbrella Cockatoo since 7 months, born in Chicago at a PetSmart May 5, 1996. There still in business, of course, but they haven't sold parrots or larger birds, for almost as long as I've had Vinnie. I contacted them on the very off chance that their records might still exist and maybe I could get a copy of his birth certificate (Not sure I ever had one) or at least an original receipt which might show his birth date. If nothing else my inquiry might brighten their cold snow laden day, knowing a bird they sold 25 years ago is healthy and happier than any bird ought to be. I asked about the leg ring, though I'm skeptical they'll know. Research tells me its usually 3 letters and 3 numbers, the 3 letters indicating the breeder/origin, the first number the bird's ID and the last two numbers the year he was born. That's not the way Vinnie's leg ring is. The first three letters are there: PSM Then in small number, set sideways is 96. (That is definitely the year he was born.) The last three numbers are 324. 3 may be his ID number, but 24 is definitely not the year he was born. So does anyone know how this particular ring-ID system works and if there is any look up? I've always cringed at the thought, but I am going to have Vinnie chipped. I know its safe, probably somewhat painful, but the most fool proof ID system there is. However, I won't remove the ring. He was born with it and gives him a measure of class. Besides, without it, if he ever joined a bunch of other Cockatoos at a white supremacist rally, I would have some difficulty finding him.
tedmik
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Have questions about chipping/leg rings

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 am

Actually, although some states have some rules as what needs to go on the leg-band, most info there is decided by the breeder so, sometimes, is more a guessing game than actual clear info. But, in your bird's case, it's pretty straightforward. PSM is the breeder. 96 is the year he was born (it's always put across) and 324 is his own personal ID number indicating that he was the bird number 324 to be born to that breeder in 1996 (bird mills produce A LOT of birds - they keep hundreds of pairs).
Petsmart does not and never did breed birds themselves, they bought babies from bird mills (as most stores still do). Now, most of the bird mills are located in Florida and California because the climate allows them to have them outside (much cheaper, easier to clean, etc) so I would start my search for the breeder in those two states. Also, back in those days there were not many places that made leg-bands so I would also contact L&M which was, if not the one and only manufacturer back then, the biggest and best known.

Personally, unless I was planning on leaving the country, I would not consider microchipping my birds because how is that going to help better with recovery if the bird gets lost? It's not like dogs or cats that get taken into a rescue or to Animal Control when lost and checked for chip - when a bird flies away there are three possible outcomes:
1) bird is found by somebody who returns it based on description, bird recognizing its name and reacting to owner's voice and presence. Leg-band ID helps here too.
2) bird is found by somebody who keeps it, sells it or gives it away as a gift.
3) bird dies.

The chance of anybody finding a lost bird and checking it for a chip are slim to none, I would think. I know I would never think of doing it myself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care