Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Budgie List

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Budgie List

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Very well you all have discouraged me from breeding so I will stick with the one bird. :/
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Male Red-Bellied Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 pm

Good decision! You have many years ahead of you if you do decide you'd like to breed down the road...

You can also look for hand-tamed budgies. They cost a bit more but, IMO, are well worth the extra money...

If you can, avoid the 'bulk-bin' budgies altogether (the ones that come from the pet-stores). They are mass bred, are often inbred, and seem to come with a host of potential problems.

Ours are both bulk-bin. We lucked out with one. She's a sweetie. But the other is psychotic - at this point we just try to NOT upset her...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:03 pm

I still enjoy messing with genetics and the excitement of babies but I will stick with this decision until I can be sure to provide for them.

I have found a breeder who hand feeds his birds and has figured out how to get a certain combo of mutations for color and such. I think I want A cobalt male or a Dark Eyed Clear (White). I will ask him if I can get a Blackfacebecause they look cool to. I appriciate your concern and I know that most of you have much more experience and knowledge than me.
"There must be a beginning of any great matter, but the continuing unto the end until it be thoroughly finished yields the true glory."
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:20 pm

P.S. I do not breed just for the heck of it. I have a deep curiosity towards how puting A and B will result, I like the rewarding benifits of raising a new life towards the best they could be. I once bred dwarf hamsters for the same reason. Its not for money or the heck of it, its for the joy and rewarding feelings of raising and breeding my pets.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:30 pm

Well...breeding for the 'heck of it' would be breeding just to see if you can. Unless you have a program and are trying to breed something specific (with a valid reason to do so)...then you're just breeding for the experience.

You don't need to re-invent the wheel. You don't need to cross A X B to see what will be produced if others have done it and published their results...

That's my opinion.

I also strongly feel you shouldn't breed animals unless you can place them, or are willing to take them back if their home doesn't work out...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby YungAndintrigued » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:47 pm

I don't see where the conversation starts, Mabye im going insane? ;)
StarBucks coffee < StarbuckThebird
YungAndintrigued
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun conure, Budgie

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Just because I enjoy the excitement of seeing results doesn't mean I am doing this for selfish reasons. I always find my pets good homes, I have for the past four years, improved the color and temperment of my firemouths. I improved the genetic diversity by selling my high colored firemouths to other breeders so they could breed with their fish, and improve color there by improving the fish itself. I am not new to the idea of breeding, this is just one of my success stories. I will admit that I enjoy it, but it is not just for the experience.

So I have already stated that I will not begin breeding these birds. I realize how you feel but this thread is to help me keep a single budgie. It is not to chastize me for wanting to increase my knowledge by suggesting an idea. Now I refuse to argue anymore. I wish to know any of you can answer my questions otherwise leave me alone. I signed up for information not punishment.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Lets try this again...
This is the starting cost and list of supplies-
Cost
Supplies: $745
Vet: $100
Future Food and Toys: $55
Bird: $10
Total: $910

Suppies list:
>Cage- Super Pet EZ Care Bow Front Mini Playtop Bird Cage for Small Birds

>Travel Cage- Fold 'n Go Travel Cage

>Playstand- $15 pvc pipe tree Diy

>Food- AvianMaintenance Natural Parakeet 2-1/4 lbs, Roudybush Low Fat Daily Maintenance Diet 44 oz, Premium Parakeet Blend 5 lbs

>Perchs- Small and Medium Comfy Cable Perch, Rope Cotton Rope, Safety Pumice Perch XSmall 5/8" x 6" long, Java Perches Small, MAC's Creatures & Critters Natural Wood Perches

>Swings and Ladders-Snuggle Rings Small 6", Bendable Bead Ladder 20", Penn Plax Wooden Bird Swings, Clear Ring Activitoy Bird Toy

>Toys- Natural Pinata Small 8",Go-Nuts Toys Small, Rope Knots 6" long x 5/8" dia, Mac's Creations Natural Grapewood Bird Toy, Jungle Talk Triple Block Ring Bird Toys, Polly's Better Beak Bird Toy, Hawaiian Delights Bird Toys, ActiviToys™ Hall of Mirrors™ Bird Toy, Jungle Talk Manzanita Disk Toys, Activitoy Triple Mirror Bird Toy, Beak Tweaker Small 4" x 6"

>Grooming and Health- Happy Hut, Grooming Tools Claw Scissors, First Aid Kit, Digital Scale, Quiko Daily V Liquid Multivitamin, Kwik Stop Styptic Powder

>Foraging- Cholla Cactus Perch, Ceramic Crock 10.2 oz Hooded, Go-Nuts Toys Small, Glass Feeder/Waterer 6", holds 2.5 oz

>Training- Golden Sunburst Millet 1 lb, Stainless Steel Cup Small Hanging, Rings Game Small, Aviator Harness & Leash Set, Top Paw® Clicker

>Cleaning-Cage Cleaning Kit 6-in-1 Tool, Poop-Off 32 oz Spray
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 pm

If anyone has questions comments ar suggestions about my choice of items, let me know.
Sir Francis Drake
Nathaniel
Conure

Postby Chicklet » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 pm

I really impressed that you're willing to spend so much on a budgie, I mean everyone here would but I used to work in a pet store and to most people a budgie was "just a 20$ replaceable pet" :( I guess it just makes me happy to see proof that people do care about the small animals and the "cheaper" animals.

One thing I would suggest is not to use a harness or flight suit for a budgie, they are much to small and fragile for one. If you want to take him/her outside then use a travel cage or build/buy an outdoor aviary. :)
Rista~Senegal
Briar~Sun Conure
Finn~Budgie
George~Budgie
Ralph~Budgie
Chicklet
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal. Sun Conure. Budgies.

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care