Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP - my African Grey’s feathers break!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

HELP - my African Grey’s feathers break!

Postby karenm0 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:24 pm

PLEASE HELP!
Our 17 yo African Grey, Sam, has very poor feather strength. More than a decade ago, after Sam was in full feather, we had his wings trimmed by a vet tech who “over groomed”. Since then, we have not been able to get Sam’s feathers to grow out. They BREAK, typically when they are large pin-feathers. Sam does NOT pluck his feathers, but he doesn’t groom particularly well either. Before her sudden death a year ago, our Amazon was fully flighted, and we would like Sam to have the same advantage. But we’ve been trying for years, and have had no luck. Our (very capable avian vet) has simply said that Sam has “poor feather strength”. Has anyone out there had the same issue? Does anyone out there have any suggestions for us?
We’d appreciate any advice you can offer!
karenm0
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP - my African Grey’s feathers break!

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:34 am

I already answered on your other post.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care