Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Car travel,newly adopted kakariki

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Car travel,newly adopted kakariki

Postby Agata » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:44 am

Hello Everyone

I’ve joined this forum to ask a question. I’ve just adopted,rescued a kakariki. Him and his friend were staying at a car garage (as in car repair shop) while their owner was away. Anyway, that was the story... I bought them, thought they were budgies. I know nothing about birds and when I opened the cardboard box they were in to give them a snack, one of them flew out like a bullet:( I know, I’m stupid. I’ve learned my lesson:(I’m left with one kakariki and a rescue in Nottingham offered to take him. I never wanted to keep them because I work long hours etc but I wanted them to have a better life. The problem is I live in London. It’s 130 miles and it takes about 2.5 hours in a car to get there. Do you think he’d be ok? Obviously, he’s recently bereaved and he’s untamed (I think). The rescue has an aviary and they said a kakariki doesn’t do well living in a cage etc. A different rescue I contacted said travelling on a train for a few hours would probably kill him:( What is your opinion? Sorry for the long post and thanks.
Agata
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Kakariki
Flight: Yes

Re: Car travel,newly adopted kakariki

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:34 am

Hi, Agata, welcome to the forum and thank you for getting them out of a bad situation. Whether it will do OK or not depends on its current state of health. Meaning, if the bird is in super terrible shape, 2.5 hours in a carrier could be fatal but, if the bird is eating, drinking, pooping and flying (even if it is a weak flight), it will be OK. Just put a slice of orange and some budgie seed on the bottom of the cage/carrier in case it gets hungry or thirsty and, if it's going in a cage, cover it with some material so he cannot see out during the transport and open it up a bit when you are sitting down on the train. It will be fine. I moved all my birds on the back of a moving truck on an 8 hour trip - it was during the night so they did not need food or water. They did not sleep much but, then, neither did the dogs. cats or me (I sat on the floor of the truck so they would not be alone) and even though everyone was tired, we all did OK.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care