Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help with weaning regression

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Need help with weaning regression

Postby Bella » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:26 am

Weaning Regression from a GC owner

Hi Everyone,
I am the new owner of a GC Conure who is 9 weeks old. I've had her since she was 4 weeks old and have hand fed her since. She seemed to be weaning down to 2 times per day but then today she did the baby bird wing flip 3 times and all three times was definitely hungry when I fed her. Is it normal for a GC to still be weaning at 9 weeks? She eats her pellets, a variety of nuts, fresh veggies and fruits every day and drinks plenty of water. Am I missing something here?
:?
Bella
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Need help with weaning regression

Postby Kim S » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:32 am

I know nothing about GCC's or handrearing them. But I know that cockatiels have a fallback when they are at the age they normaly would leave the nest and learn how to fly. The energy they use up during that period increases so rapidly they cant keep up with the food they eat on their own.
Maybe 9 weeks is the age the GCC's normaly leave the nest?

All I know about weaning parrots is that you shouldn't force wean them. Feed them if they are hungry and let them decide wether they want to eat or not.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:50 am

Just another example why people shouldn't be buying unweened babies. :roll:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Bella » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:20 pm

I disagree with "never" buying a bird until it's weaned. It's actually been a wonderful experience and we've had no issues thankfully. Our breeder lives nearby and offered to make herself available anytime day or night. We've had an amazing time getting to be involved in such a special experience. I can understand your concern as I am extremely meticulous and take caring for her very seriously (probably too much sometimes). However, if someone wasn't this way it could indeed be a disaster for all involved. For our family, I'd definitely do it again. After all, even if we didn't hand feed her, at 9+ weeks of age, most likely she would have been sold to us by now and we'd be in the exact same situation. ;) Any others have any experience with little ones who like their weaning phase to linger?
Bella
Parakeet

Postby bmsweb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Bella wrote: Am I missing something here?
:?

Not a big deal at all, your bird will soon decide on its own that it doesn't want to be fed by you. GCC wean very quickly and 8 weeks is the norm for them. Having said that some can go all the way up to 12 weeks. Understand that bringing up a bird is no different to bringing up a child in that they all do things in their own time.

You will find one day very soon that she will decide she's all grown up and won't let you feed her. Its a very cute stage. She will clamp her mouth shut letting you know, "I don't want you to feed me, I'm all grown up". So I would say enjoy the fact that she still wants to be a little bird because I wont last :)
Last edited by bmsweb on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby Bella » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Bmsweb, thanks so much for your message. I really appreciate the support. I'll relax and feed her when she asks. Thanks again and I'll be sure to just enjoy this time while she's still so little. :thumbsup:
Bella
Parakeet

Postby bmsweb » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 pm

You're welcome Bella :)
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures