Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey Care

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

African Grey Care

Postby mariawheat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:43 pm

Hello,
I just got an African Grey. I have NO idea how to take care of this bird and she arrived at my house with huge patches of feathers missing (I assume plucked due to stress), a bag of birdseed, and a cage the size of a large dog kennel that was coated in bird shit. The canary is almost entirely bald and seems to have some kind of growth on its backside, but otherwise seems to be doing fine.
Ive tried to feed her numerous times with the seed mix I was given but she refuses to eat and just glares at me with ruffled feathers, she seems very aggressive.

can someone give me some advices to take care her well? Thanks in advance!
mariawheat
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Macaws, Amazon parrot, Moluccan eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey Care

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 am

Congrats on your new companion and welcome to the forum. You have other parrots from species that vary VERY widely in terms of diet so you should be OK with the gray. But, for starters, eliminate the seeds (there isn't a single species of parrot that is a seed eater), feed her gloop and fresh fruit and greens for breakfast and walnuts for dinner, keep her at a strict solar schedule, don't ask her to step up or anything, just let her roam around the house and take her to your avian vet to look at the tumor on her back -it will have to come out or she will pick and pick at it until she hurts herself.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care