Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lifetime home needed for Senegals and Pionus

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Lifetime home needed for Senegals and Pionus

Postby shakina » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Hello,
My name is Wendy (Vancouver,BC) and I was breeding and selling Senegals and Bluehead Pionus. I stopped silmply because, despite how careful I was, I simply don't trust people. Or at least, I do not trust that their are enough responsilble owners out there to rely on when breeding.
I have kept all of my breeding pairs as I feel that that is a commitment I made to them when I bought them. They aren't just "stock" that gets sold because I chose to go out of the business. However, I just had a terrible event that I do not want to see repeated. I bought a pair 4 years ago who turned out to be both male. Despite that, they were very bonded. I even seperated them, flew one across the country to a friend to try as a breeder, didn't work out and I brought him back. He immediatly made calls and literally ran to his buddy's cage where they happily preened one another. They were in a large cage, slept side by side, and preened ecah other. A few squabbles but I saw that with any of my pairs. Last night, one killed the other. I had seen down feathers in the last few days but no alarm bells went off as one of my Senegals is having a moult. Obviously these down feathers were from the boys fighting. I am working long hours now and though I take the time every day to care, clean, feed, etc all the birds, I did not see this coming. I wish to see some of my birds go to good homes, where there is someone with more time for them. My huge concern is the constant rehoming of birds, and this is why I have kept mine. But this can not be allowed to happen again.
I have 2 female Senegals who are very friendly. One likes to gnaw on your fingers but has never, ever bitten. She is a bit shy and wary of new things. Gives kisses. The other is friendly, likes head scratches but has the habit of reaching back around to nibble, (has not bitten me doing so but could) as you are scratching her neck. I have a young male who needs someone who will take time with him. Will bite, but it does not appear to be out of malicousness. Partly out of fear, partly out of nervousness. Is better as I have spent more time with him but I simply do not have the time to spend with him. Part of the biting is due to his age I am sure, (2 1/2) He's a sweet bird, you can see him wanting to be with you, just needs direction.
I also have my Bluehead Pionus. I won't sell as a pair as I do not want them to go on the breeding mill for the rest of their lives. Both are friendly to a point (Sit with you, can be picked up when on the floor) both take head sratches, but will need your patieince to be real pets. The potenettial is there definatley but they have been a pair for 3 years and not handled as pets.
I come to this forum because I want real bird people, not people who go thru Kijiji and think birds are cute and then get bored of them, or put off by the noise, etc,etc. One last thing, Pionus can be loud. Quite loud.
These birds are not on a quicksell, I am not desperate, they will only go to homes where I can verify all I need to know for them. I am looking for an adoption fee, but not trying to make money off them. I will definatly pry and ask all sorts of questions of you, but if you are the birdperson I am looking for, you won't take any offense!
Thanks everyone, I don't want to do this, if I don't find the right people I won't, but I hope I do. Wendy
shakina
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: 10 senegals, 2 pionus
Flight: No

Re: Lifetime home needed for Senegals and Pionus

Postby notscaredtodance » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi, I live in central ohio and am a fairly new bird owner, but I've always taken care of my pets with the absolute highest standards. I think I'll research a bit about pionous and see if they're too loud a bird for me. I don't know how much you want to talk about in the thread and how much you want to talk about privately, but let me know.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Rue » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 am

Importing birds can be a problem. I know it is when bringing them to Canada from the US...I don't if the opposite is easier...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)
Flight: Yes

Postby lainmai » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 am

Rue wrote:Importing birds can be a problem. I know it is when bringing them to Canada from the US...I don't if the opposite is easier...

Indeed - wouldn't the US have the same type of 6 month isolation quarantine we have here in Canada?
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Rue » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:09 am

Canada has a strict 90-day isolation period that needs to be previously approved by an inspector.

You are supposed to change clothes after visiting the imported bird...and showering would also be recommended.

Not sure how it works in the US.
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Kim S » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:48 am

Its a shame they cant be shipped to europe. We have been thinking for a long time to buy a breeding pair of poicephalus. We want to start with an existing couple who already have had several young. This could have worked out briliantly for both parties.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby Rue » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:03 am

...unless I read wrong, she's specifically looking to place these birds in pet homes...not breeding situations...
Rue
Poicephalus

Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped

Postby Kim S » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:09 am

I was wondering about that, but from what I read she was looking for a home that is not a breeding mill. And I am certainly not that. They will always be pets first. All my birds are.
But if they are breeding pairs then it would be a shame to seperate them, I wouldnt do so anyway. If they are used to breeding a certain period every year there will be hormonal changes and not every parrot will be a nice parrot once that times comes around. The new owners would have to be aware of that or even work with that, like me. What would be better than getting them a loving new home where they can live the rest of their lives out in peace while raising a clutch of young every now and then?

ike I said, I was looking for a breeding pair anyway. To get a breeding pair that is (partially) tame as well would be just ideal for me! If I could help her out by giving one of her pairs a loving new home, why not.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby shakina » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:03 pm

Thank-you for all the replies. Unfortunatley to export them out of Canada is a major problem. You all sound wonderful, and maybe you should all move over here! LOL
Yes the breeding mill I am definatly avoiding although it does sound very nice what the lady in Holland suggested. The only problem is, that frankly, I would worry always about the birds eventually going to another breeder. I am not selling the untame breeders as no one in their right mind would want untame Senegals....lol. I'm happy to give them a nice home, it's my obligation to them. However as for the tame ones,one pair are not bonded to each other, just kinda cage mates. One I seperated because the female was getting aggressive to her 4 year partner and she is calm and happy now, and he is relieved! And the other is a single female who just wants to be a pet. It is these birds I would like to see in a good home.
Thanks everyone! Wendy
shakina
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: 10 senegals, 2 pionus

Return to General Parrot Care