Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is training a means or an end?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Means
83%
End
17%

Total votes : 12

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm

It seems to me that there are kind of two main attitudes toward training on the forum and I'm wondering how accurate that view is, so I've set up this poll. What I think I see are that some bird owners primarily do training/behavior modification as needed in order to facilitate certain types of handling or other activities, or because it is fun for the bird, and otherwise mostly want to "hang" with their birds whereas others find training to be a significant part of the appeal of having a bird in the first place. So do you do training with your bird as a means to improve his life or your relationship or do you do training because the trick itself is a neat accomplishment?

I actually sort of figured I'd be in the second category since a main part of the fun I got out of horse ownership was riding and training. I NEVER was the type to just want to hang out with my horse, although I enjoyed that as well. The fun thing was really the interaction, the working out how to do a thing together. But with the birds, I see training more as something necessary to get from point A to point B. This may be partially because Scooter didn't really take to trick training as a fun activity and I find I don't mind if he's a bit of a wild child as long as he's happy and I can handle him as needed. Since he's super tame and compliant in terms of handling (at least when not harboring a grudge) I haven't really gotten back around to the trick training thing again.

I know most people are going to fall somewhere between the two extremes but I only put two options because I'd like to stimulate discussion.
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Is training a means or an end?

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:21 pm

I'm not voting because it really is both. Well trick trained parrots tend to be the best behaved as well. Trick training my parrots makes them better pets as well. They are more in tune with what I want and have an outlet to express themselves.

For instance Kathleen commented to me that Kili sat on her shoulder for a good twenty minutes but then flew back to her perch when she needed to poop. People are always surprised by how handleable and tame my parrots are. I believe this is all a direct result of so much time training and interacting.

But could the same taming results have been achieved without a single "trick" but just taming/training strictly for the purpose of handling? Absolutely! But that would have been boring and less motivating to do. Results wouldn't be visible and it would be at least as much work. So the answer to the question is that it's both a means and an ends. Training is a means but the tricks specifically are an ends. I think both parrots and owners will be most satisfied if it is done for both purposes.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Mine's a bit of both. I find that (with this being the first bird that I've trick-trained) I spend a lot more time with Rory than I have with previous birds. I'm less worried about letting him out of the cage when I have visitors over because I know he'll behave himself when they're around, and people are more inclined to respond to him in a friendly way when they see that he is 'intelligent' (in inverted commas, because an untrained parrot is equally bright - it's just that people seem to respond more positively to my bird when they see he does more tricks than their dog).

I love the feeling of working towards something with him, and I feel like it allows me to communicate with him in a stronger way. We understand each other better than I ever did my cockatiel (who was just a shoulder bird).

Edit - I should add though that the reason I chose the GCC over the cockatiel was information which suggested their cuddliness, and their capacity for training.
Last edited by iknowwhatiknow on Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 am

well, i wont teach jango to do flips, jump through a hoop or anything, i prefer to teach him more natural (but acceptable behaviors) that are often lost with hand rearing. such as foraging. i have taught him to go poop over by his cage but mostly i have taught him things which make him easier to handle. like stepping up and allowing him to know his boundaries. he knows hes not a loud on my head ans knows if i put him on his play stand he knows i want some time out and only comes to me when called but if i put him any other place he flies straight over to me. :rainbow:
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby javelin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 am

I'm training Sunflower so that we would have a common understanding of how we should behave to each other. Through the training process I'm learning more about him and his temperament (as well as my own) and he is learning more about what I mean for him to do or act.

I don't intend to make him jump through hoops but I would want Sunflower to be able to behave at home and part of the family. I look forward to him able to be out of his cage and flying about the room in good spirits and with good behavior.
javelin
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced lovebird

Postby zazanomore » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 am

Honestly, I don't mind if Einstein never learns to jump through hoops. I didn't get a parrot so I could teach him a bunch of tricks. I got a parrot for their natural intelligence and their companionship.

That being said, I do have some basic tricks with Einstein. I really find that trick training strengthens the bond. We work together to accomplish goals. We work with each other and learn from each other. It doesn't really matter if he doesn't learn those advanced tricks, it matters more that we tried.

:D
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Return to General Parrot Care