Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

BUDGIES+CLIPPED FEATHERS=???

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: BUDGIES+CLIPPED FEATHERS=???

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:28 pm

My vet actually says she sees more household accidents with small birds than big birds, FWIW. I think clipping is safer if you haven't been able to birdproof your house, but it does not completely eliminate the risk of flying away. If you have lost 3 budgies, that is an indication to me that something about your house setup is not conducive to having flighted birds. That said, you should have a travel cage anyway. They make some inexpensive ones especially for small birds which might work out well for you. Many people use cat or dog carriers depending on the size of the bird, and there are also fancy ones designed specifically for birds, but they tend to be quite expensive.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: BUDGIES+CLIPPED FEATHERS=???

Postby rones » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:My vet actually says she sees more household accidents with small birds than big birds, FWIW. I think clipping is safer if you haven't been able to birdproof your house, but it does not completely eliminate the risk of flying away. If you have lost 3 budgies, that is an indication to me that something about your house setup is not conducive to having flighted birds. That said, you should have a travel cage anyway. They make some inexpensive ones especially for small birds which might work out well for you. Many people use cat or dog carriers depending on the size of the bird, and there are also fancy ones designed specifically for birds, but they tend to be quite expensive.

i don't live with my parents anymore because i went studying in another town..that means that my current home is much different than my parents' house...but thank you very much for your notification!!! :D :budgie:
:budgie:
rones
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: male budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care