Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you play?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: How do you play?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

snakesentwined wrote:hehe, redmoppet: I think *all* parrots love the 'chuck it on the floor!' game ;)

Scooter's favorite by far! He also plays hide and seek. He will try to be very still next to an object and he seems to like it if I make a fuss about trying to find him and then suddenly "discover" him in his hiding place.

When I first got Scooter, we did a lot of "monkey see, monkey do" games. I'd move my head side to side and he'd copy me. They he'd do it and I'd copy him, etc. We still do this sometimes, but more often he's right near me when he is playing.

Scotty likes to stand on my hand and stretch, and I'll copy his stretching -- this seems to amuse him. Sometimes he will play catch with a wiffle ball. He does try to initiate more rough and tumble games with my husband, but I just won't go there with him. He also bites my husband and I'm not sure that there isn't some correlation, although it doesn't generally happen as a direct result of cooperative play.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby patdbunny » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:18 pm

I wrestle with my daughter's conure and flip him over and "mop" things with him. They can learn bite inhibition. When he gets too excited and starts tweaking too hard, the game stops and he's told "no". The game resumes when he's calmed down.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby Red Moppet » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:30 am

snakesentwined wrote:She also loves to play 'what are you doing?!?' - which means her trying to walk over or steal whatever it is that you are currently paying attention to (TV remote, mobile phone, iPod, birthday card...).

Yeah, isn't that the BEST game ever?? :lol: Sputnik has learned to say "whatcha doin'?" too, and sometimes uses it in context... as in he'll fly over to me and walk all over whatever it is I'm "playing" with and ask "whatcha doin'?" Very cute. :budgie2:

This topic has been great to read and I'm getting more ideas about how to play with my birdies! Thanks!
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet
Flight: Yes

Postby mrstweet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Late to the game, but we play peek a boo (cover my face or their head)' duck duck goose, and uh-oh where they drop stuff and I grab it. LOL.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:25 am

Prince's absolute favorite game is to throw things on the floor, there are certain heavy items that're now siliconed onto the mantelpiece thanks to him.
The conures love to wrestle, either with each other, themselves or me. Most of all they love to cuddle, altho I think Tika would be content forever sucking my hems...
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Amerz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Kiku loves the throwing things on the floor game too, especially if they make a noise (like her toy rattle or ball with beads in it). She also likes towel games - I drape a hand towel over her and she'll poke her face out and then go back in and wander around underneath it or wrestle with it. This is a great way to keep her quiet when she's having a tantrum because I'm paying attention to something else. - like the TV or computer.
:meyers: Kiku
Amerz
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Poicephalus meyeri (Meyer's Parrot)

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care