Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Introducing two species .. help.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Introducing two species .. help.

Postby MyDestiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 am

Hi there! I'm looking for some advice as I seem to be reading 1000 different ideas from people.

I have a Cockatiel (Zuess) .. he's about 9 months old now (had him for 5 months) and I now am a new proud owner of a 4 month old Senegal (Thor)

Thor is VERY cuddley, VERY sweet. He's learning to "step-up" nicely and I think he'll be easy to train. (he already loves people and loves to climb all over me and take treats from me, or anyone for that matter.) He is clipped.

Zuess is very independant. He has full flight and when let out of the cage he'll preen on top of the cage, or fly over to me and sit on my shoulder, couch, or lap. I can walk around the house and get my tidying done and he'll just perch on me and watch. When HE wants to, he's NOT cuddley at all, and won't let me pet him. But step-ups great and loves to "chat" with me.

How do I introduce these guys? I don't want Zuess to climb on Thors cage in case Thor decides to chop off a toe. I don't want Thor on top of Zuess' cage because he doesnt have flight right now and if Zuess pecks at him its a long way to the floor.

When Zuess approaches Thors cage they both are interested in each other - but I won't let them get close. Any suggestions? (and I'm hoping when Zuess sees how insanely cuddley Thor is he'll take some lessons!) :)

Sorry for the novel! :)

~MD
.:[The difference between friends and pets is that friends we allow into our company, pets we allow into our solitude. ]:.
MyDestiny
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Introducing two species .. help.

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:07 am

Never, ever cage them together or the Senegal will one day kill the Cockatiel. Always make sure the doors are closed securely and that one parrot cannot wander into the other's cage when you're away.

Now if you're talking about introducing them with supervision, here's what I did. Just make sure that the appropriate quarantine time and precautions have been taken before doing this.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby MyDestiny » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:14 am

Michael wrote:Never, ever cage them together or the Senegal will one day kill the Cockatiel. Always make sure the doors are closed securely and that one parrot cannot wander into the other's cage when you're away.

Now if you're talking about introducing them with supervision, here's what I did. Just make sure that the appropriate quarantine time and precautions have been taken before doing this.

Oh No!!! I'd NEVER put them in the same cage together! I bought them both beautiful parrot cages ( http://www.petcetera.ca/Products/Bird/C ... -Cage.aspx ) and I like them being in seperate cages, it would just be nice if they could hang out together on occasion instead of me having to take one out, and then the other one seperately. (I also have 2 cats so I have to put the cats away to take out the birds, between that an my daughter I have my hands full with time-sharing!) :)

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check them out!!

Other than feather plucking are there any signs that my birds are stressed out by each other that I should watch for?

~MD
.:[The difference between friends and pets is that friends we allow into our company, pets we allow into our solitude. ]:.
MyDestiny
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cockatiel

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Bite marks, blood clots, ruffled feathers, cautious attitude, etc.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to General Parrot Care