Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you know if/when a beak needs trimming? (updated)

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How do you know if/when a beak needs trimming? (updated)

Postby mrstweet » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm trying to figure out if my cockatoo needs his beak trimmed. His lower mandible seems to overlap the top of his mandible on the corners (almost like canine teeth). His lower portion of his beak also looks really bad (and as of today so does the top).

I think this is probably because his diet was crap before I got him. You can imagine it's hard to take a picture of a close of up a bird's beak without losing your camera, but I included 2 photos. The lowest photo best demonstrates what I'm trying to describe. You can see this is as far as he can close his beak.

None of my other bird's beaks have this sort of overlap, so forgive me if this is a silly question.
Last edited by mrstweet on Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: How do you know if/when a beak needs trimming?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:51 pm

If a vet says it needs trimming would be the rule I'd use. They usually only need trimming if they are lopsided. I haven't looked at enough beaks to say if that's normal for a 'too or not. But I also wouldn't have a groomer do a beak trim -- the beak is a sensitive structure and you want to be very careful about messing with it!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:06 pm

When in doubt, go to a vet.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby patdbunny » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 am

His beak looks ok for a goffin too. A little flaky maybe, but not bad. Give him a mineral block and stuff to chew on and it should stay ok. Once the diet improves, the flaking will get better.

If you give him one of those concrete/mineral perches, he'll start to self shape the flakiness off the beak when he rubs his beak on the perch.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby mrstweet » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Went to the vet today with Baby to check out the beak and do an exam. She said she definitely needed a beat trim. Just FYI for future peeps.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus

Return to General Parrot Care