Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Very Aggressive GCC

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Very Aggressive GCC

Postby Carry » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:39 pm

A similar case to this one.

My GCC, Kermit, was purchased from another family when he was about three (3) years old, who did not tell us much about his personality besides he likes to talk and he was not very happy when they got another Sun to pair with the Sun they already owned. Which led to Kermit attacking the new member of their flock, which led them to selling his to us. My mother saw no problem in this, being the person she is.

Yet, after having owned Kermit for over two (2) years know, he is still as aggressive as ever, even if I still have my moments with him of 'bounding', yet he still will bite my fingers, drawing blood and not letting go unless I shake him off. My mother seems to be the only person he won’t attack in such 'anger'. I'm not sure if this is natural behavior for a GCC for my female, Kiwi, is a very quite and gentle bird unless if you bother her during her eating time.

Can I do something to help change his 'aggressive behavior' or is this something that he will always do?
:gcc: <----- Kiwi {♀, The baby-girl whos quite the 'hair stylist'}
:gcc: <----- Kermit {♂ , The 'son-in-law' who say "Kiss Me"}
Carry
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green-Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Very Aggressive GCC

Postby zazanomore » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Kermit probably wants to bond with your mother. Has she ever taken intuitive to taming him? I think that would be a good start.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree with zaza, birds often like to choose who they want to be with when they are mature.
Perhaps you can use Kermit's fondness of your mother to your advantage in bringing him around.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm

It does sound as if he's chosen your mother as the favored person. I think you can do all the things in the article about dealing with one-person aggression. It's a pretty common problem. But it involves a lot of work on the part of the people who are not favored and also the favored person letting go of that and not encouraging over-bonding. And it may, or may not, be truly effective. I'd guess in most cases you could get a certain level of tolerance. I guess the real question is whose bird is he, and what does that person want? Also, it may tend to be worse during spring and if there are environmental factors that encourage hormonal behavior.

FWIW I'm hoping Scooter doesn't get too much like this. So far, he's OK with my husband when I'm not in the room but bites him when I'm there. He's been OK for the sitter. So I think he'll probably be OK... but I'll keep you posted!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care