Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First Parrot (Senegal) ?s re. ear interest/preening?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

First Parrot (Senegal) ?s re. ear interest/preening?

Postby cledford3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 am

Hi,

Any advice on dealing with "ear interest?" This is related to my thread on a different issue in the training forum. I just purchased my first parrot (a Senegal) and have a few questions. Some of them (along with pics) are in this thread:

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4797&p=29810#p29810

This one seemed more like a general question - so I thought I'd post it here.

My parrot is still with the seller (pet shop) for the next week or so - to allow us time to get our home prepared/cage setup, etc. It is an interesting situation, but one I think is advantageous - as the parrot is getting all kinds of socialization. (details in the other thread) Anyhow, we're going by and visiting every day. The parrot is very friendly, seems very comfortable with men (I'm a guy) and has taken right too me.

Last night I stopped by with some apples and was doing some basic luring and (I assume) bonding/familiarization/association with me. He has no problem (even without luring) with jumping right up on me and climbing up to my shoulder. The issue is that when he was up there he seemed quite enamored with my ear. It wasn't a big deal now, but I could see it hurting if as an adult he chomped down or thought it was a toy.

I did not react when he did it and used the apple to lure him a away - but wouldn't mind knowing what the proper way (if at all) is to deal with this. On his 2nd trip up my arm, he started with the ear and I turned my head a bit (moving it away) and he moved on to picking at my beard stubble - which I did not mind. Is this "preening?" Should it be allowed or redirected?

Thanks,

-Calvin

cledford3
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: First Parrot (Senegal) ?s re. ear interest/preening?

Postby patdbunny » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi Calvin,

Read this: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4794

As for your stubble, you might want to redirect that. Our parrots like to "preen" my husband's stubble and every once in awhile (pretty often actually) they'll grab one and yank it out. It hurts.

Or you can see the bright side - lazer hair removal is several hundred dollars and the bird's doing it for free. You can save a lot of money if you no longer have to buy razors. Don't know if they'll pull the hair off your wife's legs for the same benefit, tho. . . :lol:
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Re: First Parrot (Senegal) ?s re. ear interest/preening?

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:35 am

It's not too bad cause babies don't bite hard. If it gets used to gentle play now, it will know it's ok to do that when it gets older. However, if you don't want it doing that at all, then don't let it on your shoulder.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care