Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is he a she?! Should I consider adding another bird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Is he a she?! Should I consider adding another bird?

Postby Kiwi! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 am

Hello everyone! Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to make sure I was in the right category!

We are a 1 bird family. We have a 12 month old green cheek conure named Kiwi! :gcc: (sorry, I couldn't resist that adorable smilie!) Kiwi dances and says his name and we love him to pieces!

Kiwi was a happy bird and I a happy owner up until a month ago. I bought "him" when he was 3 months old at which point I was told he was probably a male. The breeder determined this by feeling his tummy, his pelvis I'm assuming?

Long story short, sexual maturity rears it's ugly head and I now have a loud, irritable, randy, FEMALE green cheek. What do I do? I wanted a male so I could have a nice, pet bird. I'm not interested in breeding Kiwi. I just want my buddy back! More importantly, I want my bird to be happy and healthy! He/she seems to have 1 thing on the brain now and as a human I obviously can't fill that need! Of course I may be wrong, it may not be a female. All I know is when I pet him (or her!) down the back like I always have he crouches down with his tail in the air and wings slightly open making clucking noises. I'd rather provide my bird with a mate than rehome him/her to a breeder but is this really my only option for making Kiwi happy? Do I need another bird?

ANY and ALL opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks from Holly & Kiwi!
:gcc:Kiwi
Kiwi!
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Re: Is he a she?! Should I consider adding another bird?

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 am

It's puberty all right. It happens to all birds, male or female.

I think the behavior you are describing is him/her trying to mate with you. Whenever he shows this, put him away and ignore it. I've heard that petting under the wings and on the back can stimulate the need to breed, so maybe you should stop petting his back.

Males and females both make really great pets. Whoever told you that it is only males that are good pets are wrong.

There is no need to rehome your Kiwi. The "urges" are a natural part of growing up. Sometimes they will releave themselves on a perch in their cage, and that is perfectly normal.

Puberty doesn't last forever. Your just gonna have to ride this one out.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 am

And one more thing. The only way to guarantee the sex of your bird is to have him DNA tested by a vet. The procedure is fairly cheap, between 25-40 dollars.
zazanomore
African Grey

Budgies

Postby Kiwi! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks!

I'm learning so much on this forum! There is just no substitute for talking to and reading from owners with real experience.

When I asked the breeder if males or females make better pets he said he prefers males because you never have to worry about eggs. However, in reading some other posts, eggs sound a lot better than a male bird mating with my arm! I suppose it's all a matter of opinion and personal preference. I suppose a bird could be conditioned not to try and relieve themselves on your arm in the same way you suggested I deal with the crouching.

I'm not going to be petting her back anymore now that I know I was playing a part in this behavior! No wonder she’s expecting this from me every time I have her out of her cage. Is there any adverse affects of depriving her of the ability to mate and lay eggs? Is egg binding a problem in birds the same way it can be in reptiles? If so, what can I do to prevent egg binding? Or even the production of eggs altogether? If there is an existing post on this feel free to post the link!
Kiwi!
Parakeet

Postby patdbunny » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:35 am

My most recent post on my blog actually addresses your particular questions
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby Kiwi! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 am

Wow, thanks! That was perfect! I'm off to research egg binding now.
Kiwi!
Parakeet

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:32 am

What kind of diet do you feed her? A good pelleted diet should give her the calcium she needs to lay healthy strong eggs, and prevent egg binding.

However, female birds without a nesting box, probably won't be laying any eggs.

Ways of adding extra calcium to her diet would be to add a cuttle bone, or even brush some egg shells and coat her food with them.
zazanomore
African Grey

Budgies

Postby GlassOnion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:45 am

All birds go through a puberty stage, and it's really important that you train your bird. Often times, getting the bird to perform a trick or target will help curb aggression and distract, if it happens your bird shows aggression.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Kiwi! » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 pm

You guys are so smart!

From this point on I'll be referring to Kiwi as a she, I'm tired of saying he/she, so even though I don't know for sure, It's She-wi from now on!

I'm feeding her a pelleted diet, Tropican, I have it in a tub now so I threw out the bag but there's an African grey on the front. It smells delicious! She also has a cuttlefish bone and she gets some fresh fruit or fresh veggies daily (apple, carrot, red pepper, melon and romaine lettuce mostly). I supplement her fruit with Sun Drops. She also loves multigrain cheerios and whole wheat bread. I tried getting her to take mealworms but she was sufficiently freaked out by them! Maybe I could freeze and thaw them first? Feel free to critique or make suggestions on her diet! I want the healthiest, happiest bird possible!

Target training! That should be fun! She's pretty smart and willing to please, she learned her name in the first 2 weeks I got her and learned how to dance on command the following week. What are other fun and easy tricks I could try?

Thanks so much everyone!
Kiwi!
Parakeet

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:06 pm

Sounds like she's getting all the nutrients she could need!
zazanomore
African Grey

Budgies

Next

Return to General Parrot Care