Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is he a she?! Should I consider adding another bird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Is he a she?! Should I consider adding another bird?

Postby Roger P » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Training wise, I would suggest looking through the Taming and Training posts on the forum for ideas, and Michael's blog lists the tricks he is teaching Kili and Truman.

Merlin picked up Turn very fast, and Shake, Nod, and Bat are others that don't require props and are quite easy. You also may notice some behaviours that Kiwi does now that you find cute and may want to put on a cue. I am currently working with Merlin on one where he seems to use his foot to scratch his chin (like he is thinking hard). You just need to give it a name and start saying the name and treating every time she does that behaviour. That is how Merlin "learned" the Wings trick.

Try a few and let us know how it goes. Good Luck!
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby KNG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:22 pm

I have a green cheek conure who I was told is a female, based on her coloration (her parents could only produce yellow-sided females). She is always sticking her butt in my face, and trying to mate with my face. It's kind of gross. I try to ignore it and don't pet her when she does that. I have noticed she likes to "rub" on some of her toys in her cage.... :shock: strange.

I might get her a mate one day, when I have my own house and a lot more room, so she can just live life as a "wild bird". But for now she is my companion. :)
KNG
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, lovebirds, gouldian finches, society finches, canaries

Postby dragonlady2 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 am

In your first post, you say that you run your finger down her back when petting. Better stop that ASAP as this is what is probably stimulating mating behaviour. Just stick to the head. I have a Grren Cheek and a Crimson Bellied Conure. I have learned to not go there with them and as soon as they start regurgitating I put them on their playpens. Good Luck with him/her!
dragonlady2
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, conures, senegal, australian king, plum head, eclectus,Barrabands, parrotlets, canaries

Postby Kiwi! » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:50 am

Thanks again, everyone! I wanted to let you all know that I'm enjoying a quieter, friendlier conure after only 2 days of following your advice. I really appreciate it! It will be a while until she's back to "normal" but I feel like I have more tools in my tool box to work things out!

Kiwi thanks you, too! :gcc: :mrgreen:
:gcc:Kiwi
Kiwi!
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care