Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Putting new Senegal back into Cage?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Putting new Senegal back into Cage?

Postby cledford3 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:14 am

I will be bringing my new Senegal parrot home Wednesday. I've been visiting him at the petshop everyday and Saturday he was in a cage (he's pretty much been on display during store hours otherwise...) due to a dog rescue that was onsite for the day. The shop keepers allowed me to take him out myself and he stepped right up. He had been sleeping in the cage when I approached and upon hearing my voice, woke, stretched and became alert. Anyhow, we had some familiarization/bonding time and after about 20 minutes I was ready to put him up and leave. This is where the fun started - I had to put him back :-)

I tried placing him next to his perch - no luck - he scooted as far away as he could back up my arm. I tried luring him with apple - but this is difficult and didn't work out . His treat "drive" was lower due to getting apple while he was out with me and when he was interested inside the cage, was able to snag a bite without getting onto the perch. Dropping pieces in his bowl didn't even begin to fool him.

Finally, I decided to take the leap and pick him up (like a football - as shown in Micheal's videos) and simply set him on the perch. It worked out fine. He squawked - but didn't struggle and seemed fine with it. I'd been working with him over the last several visits to get used to my hand being around him and I had picked him up (about an inch) for about 1 second the day prior. However, that was when he was distracted with a mouth full of treat. This was the first real pick up.

So, my question is - what is the best manner to put him back if he chooses not to go? Should I brush him off my arm? Pick him up? Try some other sort of luring? Saturday was a good opportunity for me to identify something I don't know.

Thanks,

-Calvin
cledford3
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Putting new Senegal back into Cage?

Postby patdbunny » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 am

I personally grab them and put them where I need them to be. It's not traumatic if it's not the only way you get them somewhere. Sometimes I really need them to be in their cage and it's not time for monkey business. I also don't only grab when I need them to do something I need them to do. Sometimes I grab my babies and pet birds just to raspberry their bellies, so they see the grabbing is also a form of fun. My daughter's sun conure Ducky doesn't mind at all being grabbed. He releases his toes when he feels a hand around his body and relaxes in our hands. We'll sometimes hold him in our hand and point his feet in different directions and he wiggles his toes when they're facing something he wants.

I tell people who get my babies to keep them accustomed to being grabbed. You never know when there will be an emergency situation and you have to swoop down and snatch them up for their safety (accidentally falling or jumping towards some danger like a dog, towards the fireplace, into the toilet, bird got tangled up in something and you need to grab and restrain while you untangle, etc). If the bird's not used to being grabbed, they will bite the living crap out of you if you grab them.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby zazanomore » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm

Me and Einstein did go through a phase where he would fly off when he didn't want to be put away. Thank god he got over that and goes pretty much where ever I want him to.

As for the budgies, sometimes I need to grab them. They are completely fine with it, because I've done it ever since I got them.

The tamer they get though, the less I use it.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:34 pm

grabbing and putting him in the cage makes its a negative experience and he will never want to go in the cage. give him in lunch or dinner or what ever when hes been out and put him in his cage with his food to eat

thats what i do with jango and im sure michael posted a video. cant rememebr thou
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby footfoot » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Sounds like a good bird you're getting.
Senegal-age 3
footfoot
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal- 2 years old.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:52 pm

I think if done gently, picking him up and putting him in the cage when it is necessary that it happen on a schedule isn't likely to do huge damage. OTOH, once home I'd start working on a "Step down" or "perch" command. You can help the process along a little by either tipping him toward the perch or approaching the perch from behind (they tend to automatically step onto a stick that approaches from below the tail) but the best thing of all is to make the cage a fun place, make going back into the cage a rewarding experience and put the behavior on command. I trained Scooter to go back on command by singing and dancing when he complied - YMMV.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to General Parrot Care