Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Bath and Shower

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bird Bath and Shower

Postby Scarpath » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 am

Hi guys! My 2 conures loooove taking bathes in their water bowl. But lately they have grown and the bowl won't hold their weight! So when they go to bathe in it it tips over and goes everywhere! On the bottom of their cage, play gym, the carpet etc.!
Anyway my uncle has the sister/brother of our conures. (They are from the same breeder and clutch of eggs!) He said the same happened with him so now in the mornings he takes his bird into the shower with him! He puts the bird on the top of the curtains and lets the bird come down every so often to get wet. His bird has clipped wings. I was thinking of taking my clipped bird in their with me because actually, it's only Elphaba (my clipped bird) who is tipping the bowl over.
Should I or shouldn't I?
Also my bird doesn't like to bath in any other kitchen dish. ONLY store bought 1s! I don't know why though!
Help? :mrgreen:
How can I be in two places at once, unless I were a bird?
Boyle Roche

Elphaba- :gcc:
Glinda- :gcc:
Marina- :mrgreen:
Scarpath
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Green-cheeked conures.
Flight: No

Re: Bird Bath and Shower

Postby cledford3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:14 pm

The store I bought my Senegal from recommended this (the shower thing) and they sell a shower perch. The idea weirds me out somewhat, but hey, all in the name of good stewardship :-/ So, my question/concern, is this really a good idea? My bird likes to drink out of the faucet (I've been putting it on luke-warm to see if he'll "shower" on his own...) and I like hot showers. I wouldn't want him to burn his crop and don't know if this is even possible.

Thanks for input,
cledford3
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Scarpath » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Well...I did take my bird in the shower with me but I didn't put him on the curtain hanger because he is clipped and I was afraid he would fall so I moved the shampoo cleaned the area there and we took a shower together. HE LOVED IT!!!!! It was nice and warm and the room got all steamy and he was holding his wings out and making little bird noises and afterward he was soo wet! His feathers were pulled back from his ears so I saw his little holes for ears! :) He was SOOOO cute!!!!! Now he is really fluffy and soft!!!! But if your going to try this make sure that the toilet seat is down and since my birds are so small and my sink drain is soooo big and open, I plugged my sink to! :mrgreen:
My bird just loved it. I acutally look up were they come from on wikipedia.org. Then it said they were from South America in very hot climates so I made the water fairly hot. ;)
Boyle Roche

Scarpath
Cockatiel

Postby kaylayuh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:21 pm

The idea of showering with my birds kind of weirds me out for some reason. I mist my budgies and they enjoy that and I occasionally put them in the shower on shower perches where they sit and bathe while I brush my teeth. They refuse to use any bird bath dish I give them though.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Scarpath » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:41 pm

kaylayuh wrote:The idea of showering with my birds kind of weirds me out for some reason. I mist my budgies and they enjoy that and I occasionally put them in the shower on shower perches where they sit and bathe while I brush my teeth. They refuse to use any bird bath dish I give them though.

Ya...when my uncle told me that he was doing that it sounded weird to me to. But he said after that his bird was soo much cleaner and nicer. My birds are sorta mean so I tried it and they really liked it! My birds used to use a little bird bath but they have grown so now when they stand on it it tips over and we are having a hard time finding one that is the right size. My birds had poop all over them and were really dirty so I let them shower with me and now they are very clean. Infact I took both birds with me today and the one I took before was actually showing the other bird around upstairs! :lol: He would walk somewhere, the other would follow, he would squack, the other would squack, then he squacked again, and then they moved on. :lol: They are really cute and I dont really have them in the same time as me. I put them in first turn on the water, they roll around and get wet, I take them out and then I go in and take a shower. The birds would dry off a bit but then would freak out wondering where I was so I would let them sit on top of the curtain and they would preen each other I might let them down get wet and go back up. :thumbsup:
I think it is perfectly fine because my birds enjoy it and they are not eating anything harmful to them (shampoo and soap, I put it on the other side of me away from them! :mrgreen: ) and they enjoy it so I dont see a problem. :? MY BUDGIES WONT USE A BIRD BATH EITHER!!! Do you have any idea why? :?
Boyle Roche

Scarpath
Cockatiel

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Scarpath wrote: MY BUDGIES WONT USE A BIRD BATH EITHER!!! Do you have any idea why? :?

I have no idea, because mine love being misted and love being set in the shower (when I'm not in there!). I've tried a mirror-bottemed "tub" for them. I've tried shallow bowls. I've tried pretty much anything I can put water, but they never get in. I mist them every other day, so they're not filthy, but I think birds in a bath are so cute and I'd love to see them do it!

Maybe for your GCCs, you could try a shallow metal dog food bowl from a pet store. They're probably wide and deep enough.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Scarpath » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:46 pm

That's a good idea!
Just a question whats's your new GCCs name and do you think it is a girl or boy?
Boyle Roche

Scarpath
Cockatiel

Postby kaylayuh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Scarpath wrote:That's a good idea!
Just a question whats's your new GCCs name and do you think it is a girl or boy?

His name was QT Pie when I got him, but I refuse to have a bird named QT Pie (at least spelled that way). He acts so much like my boyfriend's cat, whose name is Cheney, that his name is Cheney Bird. I haven't had him sexed, but I've been going on the assumption that he's a boy. Eventually I'll consider getting him sexed to know for sure.
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby tacotaco » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:08 pm

I shower with my conures all the time. I bought the shower perch online and I put it on the shower wall (above the bench that is in my shower) I make sure they both poop before we jump in there so they rarely ever have an accident. They love when I take the shower head (with low pressure on) and point it at their direction. both of them go nuts! :)

Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon

Postby kaylayuh » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 pm

That is a really cute picture.
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Next

Return to General Parrot Care