Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Microchipping and alternatives

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Microchipping and alternatives

Postby patdbunny » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Whoops, it looks like Calif repealed the mandatory budgie banding law in the late 1990's. I didn't know that. So, Calif has no required banding laws for birds. I looked into the Calif banding laws way back 15 years ago when I first started breeding and haven't looked since.

I don't know if you can get actual identifying info tattood onto a bird. I'm only aware of a tattoo dot under the wing. I don't see why not, though for more distinct ID info other than the limited area to be tattood. As a pet owner with a bird with no legband, I guess the chip is your best bet unless the bird's not big enough for a chip.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 pm

He's big enough, but my husband has a dread fear of plucking and I have heard chipping can trigger plucking.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby patdbunny » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Ah, yes, plucking. A very valid concern. It's way no fun to deal with.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:08 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:I can't imagine anyone surgically sexes birds anymore... do they? DNA is less intrusive and I would assume unless you are the vet doing it, cheaper than surgical sexing as well.

NZJessie, these days a lot more birds aren't banded and I'm told open bands are more likely to get hung up and cause accidents than properly sized closed bands. So if you have a bird that isn't banded (Scotty isn't and it is apparently common not to with Capes because they will chew off anything but stainless steel) then you have limited choices.

I'd like to hear more about tattooing, actually. Its something I might do if he had to be sedated for a procedure anyway -- I don't think I'd bite off the risk of anesthesia just for ID purposes, but we had our kitty chipped while she was under for treatment anyway.

yes jango is not banded either but he from a breeder but was not bred intentionally if you know what i mean, she adopted 2 'male' rainbows and they ended to a male and female and having babies! i see less and less birds being banded. my vet microchips birds but jango is not microchipped, he really has no form of identificayion, except for a patch of colour muted feathers on his crop area, other than that there is nothing and i would never get a bird open banded. but if someone finds you bird and you meet them, im sure the bird will tell a judge whos its owner is lol! i know jango would
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby mrstweet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:24 am

Also, while banding may be a common breeder practice, I've found a lot of owners choose to have the leg band removed thanks to veterinary advice. I have considered having Paris chipped and her band removed because her band is too big; or putting an open band on her. Cupcake is unbanded and I don't think she ever was.

Many vets and several rescues still perpetuate the "leg bands are dangerous" concept.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care