Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrot breeder, I need of a .... parrot :-)

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Parrot breeder, I need of a .... parrot :-)

Postby DavidIsrael » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:02 pm

About Two years ago I visited a breeder in order to check an Eclectus parrot. In his house I also met an Alexandrine that I really really liked. Problem was, I wasn't sure I was able to handle their noise level. Funny thing is back in Israel and especially at that time general opinion was that Eclectus are pretty much quite birds. From some kind of a twisted reason, I managed to come to a decision that if I can't own a single parrot pet, I'll just become a breeder and own a lot of them :lol:

So for the pass 2 years I hand rared Cockaitels, green cheeks, pionus, love birds, pacific, senegal, meyers and even an eclectus female. All of which would spend their early chick days with me and leave to their new homes once weaned.

I clearly have a problem with screaming. I didn't mind hearing the cockatiels screaming or crying at me when they were in need of formula. However, once they got what they wanted, they would stop. With the Eclectus it was a problem, she could sit next to me and suddnley out of no where release a really strong scream. It would drive me nuts and I really was dissapointed because I really wanted an Eclectus of my own at some point.

Just about a week ago I finished weaning two baby senegals, with me today are two baby meyers that are also about to wean. I really loved one of the senegals and in two years, for the first time, found myself really hurting when he left. I'm a very warm person, I kiss and hug the babies all day long but with this guy I understood - enough with the games, one of these babies is going to have to stay here so that you can really have the fun those families have when they take the babies away from you.

The specific senegal that I had, he could get himself heard, sometimes even having these attacks in the cage with his brothers where we would flap and scream and you would think something is wrong. I came to understand that was just him checking his own abilities and releasing some stress. Somehow, I didn't mind his noise. I'd ignore the major screaming and most of them were actually heard more outside then in my room (I have a big porch in which weaned chicks spend their mid-days, it gives me some alone time and them some sun). I think I could handle him if I knew this is as loud as it gets (Leaving the frequency apart for now). Question is, is it? I heard that at later stages in their lives, they make what michael referred to as a "screech" who's "more piercing and annoying."

So, my basic question for you guys, what would you recommend a parrot breeder who wants a companion parrot? After getting to know the senegals and meyers I really like them. My Meyers seem to be gentle but noisier and I did really like the playfulness of the senegals..
I also really really like the cape parrot, they aren't easy to find in Israel but I can wait for one - If you think he'll be good for me..

Waiting for your opinions.. :-)

Important facts:
A. I don't hand feed by myself and so I do have time in the day that can be spent only with my parrot. I also plan on taking him with me to places.
B. I do prefer a bigger parrot in general.
DavidIsrael
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: senegal, meyers, cockatiel
Flight: No

Re: Parrot breeder, I need of a .... parrot :-)

Postby GlassOnion » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:11 pm

What about an african grey? They are *relatively* quiet for their size.
Timneh's are a bit smaller, and more playful than the Congo's. I think a timneh would make a great companion!
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby patdbunny » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Wow, a parrot breeder that doesn't like the noise. . . Are you sure you want to breed parrots?

I love greys, but the incessant mimicking can grate on the nerves. Especially when they learn some kooked out noise that makes you crazy.

We don't have a hahns macaw, but I heard they're quiet and playful. But then again, you think meyers are noisy.

What is it specifically you have a problem with - frequency, decibel level, duration, or tonal quality?
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby DavidIsrael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 am

GlassOnion,

An african grey isn't really for me, I want a colorful parrot and even though I know it can be controlled - a parrot who's group friendly. I think there's no doubt because of their true nature, african greys tend to get over attached to their owners.
Eclectus are very social, basically because of the way in which they breed at nature.

Also, as patdbunny noted, the "incessant mimicking", isn't going to work for me as I spend a lot of time home.

Patdbunny,

It's not that I don't like the noise. Just to make it clear, I have a pair of green cheeks right outside, a few meters from my own bed who sound like a car accident all day long. just a few hours break each time. Near them, living in vocal paradise are 8 Cockatiels.
When it's breeding season? Morning is me sitting near my desk with about 15-20 screaming babies who want food (NOW!). So usually when it's like that a nice background music or even an ipod right on my ears are helpful.

I don't bang my head against the wall but yeah, the meyer even though in low frequency, can get really loud. Definitely not Eclectus loud, but loud. You have to remember they are in weaning, they are in that stage when everything is new and it's like: "Hey, is that my voice??? Is that MY VOICE?!?!?!??"... Take that and put it on a male baby Eclectus. They cry out loud horribly. My main concern is not that phase but the one in which they pass the first 8 months and lose the crying - how would I handle them then, would that, by definition, be a good bird for me?

As for your last question, and a good one it is, here is my answer:
Frequency - Not much of a problem, I do have cockatiels and they can dig hard sometimes.
Decibel level - Yes, I have to put a lot of sense into a strong sound and it can bother me.
duration - if the duration is short and decibel level is high, i can get used to it. this means that a sun conure probably won't be for me.
Tonal quality - you mean how the screaming sounds? I don't know if it matters too much.

The more I talk about it the more I understand this is a psychological problem no doubt, as a breeder, I seem to be handling daily. It has been two years since her and I hand rared many babies since then - I changed. But is it enough? :-| Should I just make it easy on myself and bring another parrot?
DavidIsrael
Parrotlet

Postby patdbunny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Well, what say you post some types of birds you're considering and we'll try to give our input about them? Especially since you're in Isreal. No point in suggesting birds that might not be available to you.

Tonal quality - I don't mind a dozen sun conures screaming in my face, but one squawk out of my eclectus and I feel my teeth are going to fall out of my head.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby DavidIsrael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:02 pm

Okay, so you are a great example, you say that it bothers you, in a way different than other calls bother you. How do you handle it? He sits next to you and suddenly he screams, what do you do? Overall we both know that none of those sounds are fun to hear and it's really a matter of what you can put up with. Senegal and Eclectus both have the cutest sounds until they start bringing up the big vocal tools, so how do you put up with it?

I'm thinking a big bird, so even though I love them, senegal and green cheeks are too small and since I have a pair of yellow sided ones, I'm gonna have these as much as I want.
- Cape Parrot.
- Pionus (any kinds, probably more available are white headed and blue headed).
- Alexandrine (another bird I adore but don't know how I'd live with their calls).
- Senegal (Maybe after all, I don't know)

You can bring your own ideas, Israel has a lot of everything, we are all bird lovers :-))
DavidIsrael
Parrotlet

Postby patdbunny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 pm

I have one pair of eclectus and they're outside so I don't have to listen to them with any regularity that would make me crazy. I just know I would never own one as a pet, now that I have heard them. My husband can't hang with the conure screams. He has earplugs when he has to go maintain my conure cages. We try to keep as much outside as we can.

Babies are in the house on the other side of the house. Our actual living spaces we have no birds. So I guess that's how we deal - we are able to get away from the noise. My daughter's sun conure lives in her room so we can close the door when he gets going. He also lives with a cockatiel that provides him with companionship and greatly reduces his screaming.

Living with a parrot is tough if you think you're going to have a hard time with their calls. How about some sort of larger tame softbill. Their calls sometimes aren't as raucous.
Roz

patdbunny
Amazon

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

Jardine's might be a good choice, they are a medium pois, so like an in-between of a cape and a small poi (Senegal, meyers etc)

An aracari is also very popular, they can't really be as loud as some parrots can be.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby DavidIsrael » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:24 pm

I wanted to give an example of how things are now in my parrots family.Before I made the changes in my house, that allowed me to put weaning babies outside, I hand fed a single green cheek. It was very
hard, having seen me all day long he would constantly want to be with me.
Couldn't get a break. I remember telling to myself, after his owner took him,
that I will probably not bring any more Green cheeks over. A few months later,
after the changes have been made, I got an order from a nice lady that really
wanted two baby green cheeks and insisted that I'd be the person to tame them. I
ended up bringing home 3 babies. I was shocked at the amount of fun I had with
them.
>> this is why I wonder if that was the problem with the eclectus or am I
unable to tolerate their specific calls.

As for the advices. I want a parrot, nothing else (I admit I'm not sure what a softbill is?). I hand rare them, I want one of my own, many breeders have their own parrots and don't have any specific problems related to the fact that they also hand rare.

I'm in contact with a lady who has a blue headed pionus of mine, she says he's mostly quite. Here and there you hear him but it's mostly with a good reason. I really like these guys, any owners in here? How about cape parrots?
DavidIsrael
Parrotlet

Postby coral » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 pm

I have a blue headed pionus and hes great his screech is a little loud but he doesnt do it very often, only when hes upset or when the dogs bark (they make a lot of noise so he likes to join in) hes really a great bird to me but he is aggressive towards others but he is a rehomed parrot and im still training him, hes really a sweet heart and great bird. he chatters and talks all day long usually though but thats normal for all birds. i love him to death hes great :)
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot

Next

Return to General Parrot Care