Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Temperatures and Parrots.

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Temperatures and Parrots.

Postby michellet » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:02 am

I'm in Australia, and we have just left behind a hot, dry summer.....quite a few periods of 3-4days in a row over 40degC (104F). I wasnt too concerned about our tame, indoor birds...but the budgies and quails outside had me concerned. If birds are very hot their natural instinct is to "go to ground'..so if you bird is spending a lot of time on the bottom of their cage (or aviary) they might be feeling the heat. Another indicator of heat stress is they will lift their wings away from their body.....they have less feathers under their wings and can self regulate their body temperature by allowing increased air flow to this area. Most birds will not drink if the temperature of the water is too warm...so an icecube in their water is a good idea on hotter days. Also, providing fresh foods with a high water content (fruit & veg) will help to keep their fluids up. I also fill empty plastic bottles with water and freeze them, and lay one or 2 on the floor of the cage...they will hang around near it if they need to cool off...or you can place one below a favourite perch.
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

Over here in Vancouver, it's still chilly and you need a jacket...
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Vikki » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:36 pm

I can't complain about the heat we've had the past few days because up until about a month ago, I had a foot of snow.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. - Aesop
Vikki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's parrot, Catalina Macaw, Harlequin Macaw, Hahn's macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:02 pm

So at what temperature do you start to worry? I wouldn't worry about a temp in the 80s, even if humid... but the high 90s, maybe so, the 100s definitely. I wonder if feeding ice at the lower end of the heat scale might provoke a chill? Their normal body temps are 5-10 °F higher than ours, for one thing.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Vikki » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Unless you force feed them the ice, I don't think it would be an issue. They aren't going to eat it if they don't want to and if they start to feel cold, they will stop on their own.
Vikki
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's parrot, Catalina Macaw, Harlequin Macaw, Hahn's macaw

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Vikki wrote:I can't complain about the heat we've had the past few days because up until about a month ago, I had a foot of snow.

I'd rather have the cold, minus the crazy electric heating bills, than the hot humid air. I think I'm just taking it particularly bad because of this ridiculous medication schedule and I haven't seen any changes in the birds.

It's in the upper 70s today and very sticky. The temperatures are all over the place lately. It was in the 30s one day and the next it was in the 70s. It's all over the place and I'm getting confused by it and I'm sure the birds are wondering what the heck is going on.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Vikki » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 pm

We've had similar weather in NY, 80 one day, 30 the next. I, personally, like cold weather as well. I grew up in Pittsburgh so blizzards are in my blood (just not every week for three months like it was this year in NY). The first day it hit 70, we opened all the windows and the brids went nuts. The next day, it was 55 and raining and they were in shock and didn't make a peep, so I am sure they are just as confused and aggravated as we are.
Vikki
Conure

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:21 pm

michellet wrote:I'm in Australia, and we have just left behind a hot, dry summer.....quite a few periods of 3-4days in a row over 40degC (104F).

Really?? In Melbourne it felt like we Just had 9 months of spring/autumn weather! We've had more sunny weather over the past few weeks than we had in summer!

Ice cubes in the water work well, multiple water bowls, as you may find they feel the need to take a dip! Fruit smoothies work well too, our birds love them, and it's a good way of getting fluid into them, especially if you put incubes in it aswell to keep it cold, and as the cubes melt they'll provide more fluid.
If you want to provide a bath for your birds, I'd say add bowls of water similar to their water bowls, I find that our birds don't enjoy a big bird bath, but they lurve squishing themselves into their water bowls. Also a dog/cat bowl with water on it in the bottom of the cage might go down well, obviously keep it out of pooing reach (is there even such a thing?? )
Keep in mind that shallow water will evaporate, so choose deep bowls, deeper water will also mean it takes longer for the water to warm up, and ice cubes will melt slower.
Even though all our birds are indoors, we still employ all these methods, as our house heats up quickly thanks to big, north facing windows. We also leave a fan on during the day, just to keep the air moving.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby patdbunny » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 pm

In So.Cal. I don't really start worrying until it goes over 95 degrees.
It's heat, but it's a DRY heat!! :lol: :lol:
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:46 pm

I might just be thick, but what's So. Cal??
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot