Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flightsuits

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Flightsuits

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:01 am

I've been thinking lately about getting flight suits for the GCCs. They make SO much mess when they're out, and they spend a fair bit of time out and on someone or the couch. They wouldn't be used to take outside as I just don't trust them, but I think they'd be really handy for inside use.
My question is though, have you guys got any success stories with flight suits? I'm sure Rory wouldn't have an issue with it, since he's harness trained, but Tika has issues with hands coming to her, and I can see it all being very difficult and perhaps detrimental to our relationship.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC
Flight: Yes

Re: Flightsuits

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:48 am

See last time I discussed flight suits and distinguishing between purpose and solution. I couldn't say anything different this time so check that response out. Consider potty training as a more direct solution to your problem.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:12 pm

I also don't really like the idea of flight suits for birds. It's not because I don't think it's fair for them to sit in their poop, but because I don't think it's particularly healthy. I'd imagine if left unchanged for a certain amount of time, it'd lead to all kinds of infections.

Instead, when I have my birds out, I try to pay attention to their body signals. Most times, they wiggle their tail feathers and back up and I know I need to put them back in or on the cage to do their business. I have a particular blanket I use to cover myself or whatever I'm sitting on when I'm holding them, too. This way, if I'm not paying attention, the mess is on the blanket and I can wash it off.

That said, I kind of just learned that getting poop in places you wouldn't want is just part of parrot ownership. My birds have never picked up completely on potty training, even in spite of my best efforts. They're pretty good about doing their business in their cage 70% of the time. The other 30%, I've just learned to deal with.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Having grown up with birds, I know that poo is something that just comes with birds, however OH is somewhat new to birds and he gets a little sick of it, he also is in a brand new rental house and they want to keep it as good as possible, so the land lords are quite happy with them keeping birds. We're also trying our hardest to prevent the birds becoming an issue with his house mate, so far he likes them and just gets a little annoyed when they constantly want to sit on him and eat his food, but he's learn't now how to pick them up and put them back in their cage when he's had enough of them.
Their suits certainly wouldn't be left unchanged for long periods, I'm not sure how often it'd take, but I know with a little bit of trial and error we could work out whether it needs to be changed hourly/2-hourly/daily/etc.
Does anyone have any success stories??
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:50 pm

CheekyandMalolo wrote:Their suits certainly wouldn't be left unchanged for long periods, I'm not sure how often it'd take, but I know with a little bit of trial and error we could work out whether it needs to be changed hourly/2-hourly/daily/etc.
Does anyone have any success stories??

I figured they wouldn't be left on for hours and hours, but I'd still be concerned about possible infections. I'm not sure how likely it would be, so I'd ask a vet if that should be something to look out for.

I've read some reviews on websites where they sell them and most people that bought them and actually got them on their birds seem pretty happy with them. Like you said, I probably wouldn't use them for flying but for just a few minutes outside the cage with certain people, I don't think it would necessarily hurt.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Chris&Akilah » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:33 am

I think those are just plain embarassing, for bird and owner alike. Is bird-poop really so offensive that you need a diaper? A wad of tissues in your pocket should work too, unless you have something really big I suppose. I also gotta wonder how birds feel about being unable to groom themselves properly while wearing the suit. I think their main purpose is to satisfy people's desire to have a substitute-baby.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sun May 01, 2011 1:32 am

Well, you mustn't have read what I wrote about my OH's concern of it being a rental property, and the MASSIVE mess they're making of the carpet, even when you pick it up straight away. Our birds spend minimal time preening themselves when they're out of the cage, if they're gonna preen they preen each others faces, otherwise they preen when they're in their cage. They're having too much fun preening US when they're out of the cage :) And a 'substitute baby'??? Well we do refer to ourselves and mum and dad, but I also do that to my horse so ... :roll:
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Michael » Sun May 01, 2011 10:14 am

Sorry for not being helpful about the flightsuit topic, but I can talk about how I deal with similar issues without putting anything on the birds.

At home, I take my parrots out every morning and put them on their Parrot Training Perches) with a newspaper underneath. Actually Kili flies to hers herself, but for Truman I have to be within 10 ft of the perch or he may not go to it reliably. It's just a matter of practice and routine. If the birds get used to the routine of taking their morning dump only on the perch, then they grow more used to the concept of potty training. I prefer to use a place rather than a cue for pooping. If I want to recalibrate a new place as a designated potty area, I put the birds on it and wait till they eventually poop, then pick them up and give attention. Then I put down on there again and give attention after pooping so the place is learned.

Then when I travel, I bring a Training Perch with me and a newspaper. I let the birds do all their business on there. It works for about 95% of the time during travel. For the other 5% I bring paper towels with me and have learned to wipe it off very successfully from almost any surface. At home, I have a portable spot cleaner for the rare occasion someone poops on the carpet. On trips I just bring a portable battery powered hand vac but mostly for the mess of crumbs and feathers.

In this manner I've taken my parrots to other people's houses and been able to keep things relatively mess free and clean up anything unexpected. Works great.
Michael
Macaw

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Sun May 01, 2011 7:04 pm

That's a really clever way of doing it Michael, but I don't think it's for us. Our GCCs live with my boyfriend, who leaves for work at 6am. Therefore, he doesn't take the birds out in the morning, he uncovers them and does food/water as quietly as possibly and leaves. His house mate finishes work at 1pm and they get to come out then.
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Michael » Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 pm

CheekyandMalolo wrote:That's a really clever way of doing it Michael, but I don't think it's for us. Our GCCs live with my boyfriend, who leaves for work at 6am. Therefore, he doesn't take the birds out in the morning, he uncovers them and does food/water as quietly as possibly and leaves. His house mate finishes work at 1pm and they get to come out then.

Once they're uncovered, I don't think it matters if they are briefly taken out or not. My morning routine on a busy weekday usually involves taking them out for no more than 15 minutes to take a poop and while I get their food/water together.

That is if they remain awake after being uncovered. If the room goes dark after he exits and the birds go back to sleep, then this is not relevant. It's all about what routine they are used to.
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to General Parrot Care