Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Lying on back

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Lying on back

Postby imdnt » Tue May 03, 2011 6:50 am

Hi all!

Bravo is a tame Indian Ringneck and ever since he was about 3 months old, I've been able to put him on his back without him squirming around or freaking out

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58811496@N07/5593731339/in/photostream

I tell him to step up which is when he'll grab my finger and I then lift my hands he could pull himself up.

He's now turning 7 months and it's only within the past 2 weeks he would lie down and let me trim his nails without fuss. I have to say step up twice so he realizes it's time to get up .... He's just sooooo relaxed! The longest I've had him on his back was 30 min and he fell asleep.

So my question is, how long can a parrot stay on it's back? I can only assume the answer is 'as long as they want to as long as they don't feel any discomfort' but would love to get a definitive answer :D
imdnt
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks
Flight: No

Re: Lying on back

Postby Michael » Tue May 03, 2011 9:12 am

As long as they can get up and know how. Young birds may not realize how to get up and just be kinda stuck there until they are lifted. If the bird chooses to lay down for so long I think it's fine. But if you've never seen your bird roll to get up on its own, then it may be forced.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby imdnt » Tue May 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Hmmm ... that's interesting with the rolling. Bravo tends to push up with his wings sometimes whilst I lift.

Is this roll something that can be taught or is it one of their natural instincts?
imdnt
Parrotlet

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Tue May 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Our GCCs will happily be put on their back and laid on a table/couch/shoulder and stay there for a fair while, either until they've had enough or until they are told up. If they're laying in our hands we just press a finger into their feet which the grab and pull themselves up, if they're on the table they roll over onto their feet.
I would say the roll is very instinctual, however you could teach it, when you say 'up' get them a gentle push over to one side, just to dislodge them a little and they'll probably automatically roll and jump up.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby imdnt » Tue May 03, 2011 9:51 pm

CheekyandMalolo wrote:I would say the roll is very instinctual, however you could teach it, when you say 'up' get them a gentle push over to one side, just to dislodge them a little and they'll probably automatically roll and jump up.

Cheers for that. :)

I'll give that technique a go.

Only recently learned that parrots didn't know how to crack open a nut but rather learnt how to do it from others so I wasn't sure if this was something they also needed to learn.
imdnt
Parrotlet

Postby patdbunny » Tue May 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Once I saw a youtube video of a bird rolling over like a dog on command. Maybe you can google.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby imdnt » Tue May 03, 2011 10:25 pm

imdnt
Parrotlet

Postby Kirsten » Tue May 10, 2011 6:58 pm

Skittles will lay on her side, but she doesn't seem to like being on her back yet. Is that normal for younger birds?
Kirsten
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby kaylayuh » Tue May 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Kirsten wrote:Skittles will lay on her side, but she doesn't seem to like being on her back yet. Is that normal for younger birds?

Some birds just don't like to be on their back. Completely normal if they don't, just as normal if they do. The only way I can get Cheney Bird completely strapped in his harness is if I flip him onto his back. The budgies, however, hate it.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Return to General Parrot Care