Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to catch a Parrot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: How to catch a Parrot

Postby triplebbirds » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Hell my state is simple. Clip their wings. Simple enough. But not only do you suffer in PA but your bird will automatically be confinscated and euthanized because its a Quaker/Monk. That is the crazy part.
triplebbirds
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 20
Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal
Flight: Yes

Postby Pip Logan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks tripple for the help! Will look at the website to see what if any laws aply to me! I will do the reaserch but was just wondering from people who are into it. Not looking to fight my way through for answers :)
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Homing Pigeons

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 am

You said you live in CA, so quakers are illegal to own in your state. That being said, how much interaction would you be able to provide this bird considering that it would be housed outside? Would it recieve out of cage time daily? or would it be more of a "look ma i got a parrot" kinda thing? See im going to assume that no one on here actualy knows you, So we dont know anything about your personality, living conditions ie how the bird would live, or your lifestyle. All we know is what you asked, starting with how do i catch a wild parrot. So if you help us out get to "know" you a bit better and maybe expand your questions a bit then we could possibly help you find a parrot that would work with your lifestyle. By expanding your questions i mean something along the lines of this. instead of "how do i catch a whild parrot?" you could instead say, "there is a group of Quaker parrots or Monk Parakeets that live around here, I want to catch one. How do I do that?" Remember this is online and so there is no tone of voice or facial expressions, if you feel you have to fight everytime to get an answer it may be beacause we dont understand exactly what your trying to figure out.
triplebbirds
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure, sun conure, Quaker parrot, Parrotlet, Cockatiel, Senegal

Postby Pip Logan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 am

That makes perfect cents. I live in San Diego; Have a two year old daughter and a wife. My daughter and I currently have six racing homers. I saw the wild parrots about a month ago and thought that they wear really cool and that is what started my quest lol. I can’t have birds inside the house as I am allergic, so that is why I got into outdoor birds. I am in the back yard training the Homers between 3pm and 5pm during the week and on weekends we are back there gardening and playing with the baby. I don’t think I would fly the birds but would build a med sized aviary that it would live in. Hmmmm I think that is all. If you need more info just ask!
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:23 pm

That is a wonderful start. You said you have alergies. So now we can begin to exclude some birds. You would probably want to stay away from the so called powder down birds. Cockatoo and cockatiels and that sort.
Would you want to interact with the birds or more for show and something nice to look at?
Would your family be involved in this?
How does your wife feal about adding another child into the mix?

That should be a good start on the questions. Now granted there are about 800 more and every answer leads to more questions. I would hate to see you get a kind of bird that just doesnt jive with you. Also i noticed you said that you and your daughter have the pigions what about your wife? Is she not a bird person? or is it more just the two of your hobbies. kinda father daughter thing? Adding a parrot is a family endevor. And please i know Quakers are beautiful birds, 1 they dont want a home they have one already and knowing that you have a daughter that age i definatly wouldnt get one from the wild even if it were legal. Curious fingers are tiny and can be bitten easily and would hate to hear of your bird hurting your little girl because it seen you as a threat.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Pip Logan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Yes my allergies are fine when I am out side but living inside they tend to act up. As far as interaction they/it would be to have something beautiful in the back yard area. Its not going to be an accessory but I don’t want to train it to fly. It would have an aviary so it’s not going to be locked down in a tiny box or cage. I would like a smaller bird. Family involvement, the wife loves the idea of adding a parrot to the family but wouldn’t be the primary caregiver due to her work schedule. Yes my wife is on board with the pigeons and when time permits likes to be part of the time we spend with them but due to her busy case load she doesn’t spend a ton of time during the week out there. When I met her she had two little peepers she had inside (finches) that she had had for about 6 years before I knew her so she is a bird person. And don’t worry I will not be per suing the Quakers. They are awesome birds but my daughters well being is more important than a bird  SO I guess I am leaning towards a smaller parrot that is hardy nuff to with stand out terrible winters lol
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby triplebbirds » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Ok now lets cover the noise issue. How close is your closest neighbor? I have a few suggestions but would have to gather more info on you and your family.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Pip Logan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:11 am

IN the area I would be designing a building the Aviary there would be noone. The closest house would be aprox 100 Yards. It would be semi close to my pigeon loft and build partialy under a tree.
Pip Logan
Lovebird

Postby triplebbirds » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:08 pm

Look into conures. They might be the right fit for your family and have seen some breeders housing their pairs outside in CA.
triplebbirds
Conure

Postby Pip Logan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Ok sounds good I will look into that! Thank u so much for your willingness to help!
Pip Logan
Lovebird

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care