Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

She screams my name...

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

She screams my name...

Postby Ticoisagoodbird » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

...I just thought that was an appropriate title. LOL

Tico apparently pays rapt attention to words she deems important of repeating. Like my name. Obviously I never repeated that to her as a baby bird, but she must have learned it by listening to my husband call for me (the kids call me Mom, but she only rarely says that). Some days I can't go in another room without her yelling for me.

Do your (talking) birds call you by name, and did they pick it up by themselves?
Ticoisagoodbird
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon
Flight: No

Re: She screams my name...

Postby zazanomore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:10 pm

He doesn't call my name, but he does call for me whenever I leave him. I've got to whistle back for him to stop. :lol:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:19 pm

That's funny. He picked up that when your name is called you respond and figured it's a good way to get your attention ;)

Truman recently started saying his name (or at least trying to) so sometimes when I am about to recall him, before I can get the word out he's calling "Truman" and then doesn't come. I have a feeling he thinks if he says "Truman" that I'll come recall flying over to him instead. :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Rambo and Myrtle call me Moma l;ike my daughter does.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 am

When I was a kid we had three Black Cap Lories (Podgie, Podgo and Yaua) who where the biggest imitaters it was amazing. They lived in an aviary under our house (on stilts), meaning you could hear them from anywhere in the house. We used to go running around the house trying to find the voice calling 'Mum, Mum, MUM!!! MUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!' 'Claire! Claire! Claire Elizabeth!!!!!!!!' 'Joooooooolie!!!' You get the jist. You think greys have creepily realistic voices?? Go listen to a Black Cap, or atleast our Black Caps
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby liz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:08 am

Rambo my DYH Amazon does not imitate. He learns. He is 20 now and has the vocabulary of a 5 year old kid with a speach impediment. He understands almost every thing we tell him or at least the tone of voice. He uses the words he knows to ask questions and when he "feels like it" he will answer questions. He tells us things and calls when he want someone. He calls my mother Grandma. He calls me Moma and my daughter Rachel he call Raddell. He loves to agrivate my son, Chuck, and says his name quite clearly.

I used to think parrots just imitated. The first week I had Rambo I was standing at the door calling Lola (dog). I would say "Lola come here" again and again. Rambo helped me by calling "Lola comere". When I got tired calling he turned to me and said "Lola not comere". That is when I knew he was capable of really talking.

Rambo was a hurried rescue and lived on the dining room table for a month before I got a cage to keep his stuff in. My aunt was not impressed with having a bird on the table until one day when I was out. She was out of breath when I returned and quite impressed with Rambo.

The neighbors cat had gotten in the house. Not knowing her name yet he just yelled HELP. She ignored him at first but then he started yelling HELP COMERE HELP COMERE. When she finally got to him the cat was under his table. As she ran around the table trying to get it, he yelled CATCH IT PUT IT OUT CATCH IT PUT IT OUT HURRY HURRY CATCH IT. Needless to say he won her over.

Myrtle is like a two year old learning to talk. The first name she learned was Rambo then she learned Moma She does imitate words but that is how a 2 year old stats talking.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Ticoisagoodbird » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Wow, guys...I appreciate all the input.
Michael, that IS funny about Truman...if we all have our Indian names, I guess (in his mind at least) Truman = Get over here!
Liz: I'm sure parrots do more than imitate, and I appreciate your story about Rambo. BTW I also have a daughter named Rachel (Rachael), but Tico has so far shown no interest in learning that name, but your : "He calls me Moma and my daughter Rachel he call Raddell." Haha -- I'm "BETH!" but in parrot-speak it comes out a lot more like "METH METH!"
Zazo: I hear what you say about whistling back at the smaller birds. Tico tends to shut up when I yell "WHAT!?!" back at her. She is just now seeming to realize that "what?" also means "I haven't heard you, say it again" (she usually mumbles at that)...it made me realize how much tone means in language. When she screamed, I also used to get a bit irritated and come out and scream directly at her. No words, just "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH", about 2 feet from her and for some reason that would satisfy her and she she would be quiet! Maybe she was shocked?
I read something that parrots won't say many new words after age 2-3, but I know that is obviously B.S. I can see a huge difference in Tico's skills this year after puberty hit (still can't figure out if she is 5 or 6) OMG she started screaming like a banshee this Spring, twice a day. She got put out on the front porch -- we are on 10 acres -- as soon as the screaming started)...now she has settled down, but she has a new glint in her eye and is actually much more calm and I can tell that she is thinking about things a lot more than she used to -- the head tilts, the softer "what?", etc.
Parrot semi-maturity? LOL
Ticoisagoodbird
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:21 am

Michael wrote:That's funny. He picked up that when your name is called you respond and figured it's a good way to get your attention ;)

Truman recently started saying his name (or at least trying to) so sometimes when I am about to recall him, before I can get the word out he's calling "Truman" and then doesn't come. I have a feeling he thinks if he says "Truman" that I'll come recall flying over to him instead. :lol:

lolol
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:37 am

Because of Hospice our house is like Grand Central Station. Everyone who comes in plays with my critters and talks to the birds. I had to stop them from saying "Hello Rambo" because he thought it was part of the greeting. Now he just says hello and Myrtle is picking up on that.

Rambo is 20 and still increasing his vocabulary. Mostly with verbs.

Myrtle I found out is just 1. Everyday she says something new she has heard. Just like a little kid she is starting to understand what some of them mean. She now uses "Moma comere". (come here)

When I volunteered at the zoo they told me not to associate human emotions with the animals. I don't know why they didn't know or would not listen to me. There was a vultur who showed me he had created a game to amuse himself. When I had time I played it with him but they did not understand.

These little creatures don't resemble us in looks but GOD gave them emotions and the ability to learn. He also gave them other scenses that we cannot understand.

Okay - I will shut up, but this is something I feel strongly about.

They know - we just don't know that they know.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby AmazonServant » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:34 pm

When my Amazon is on very bad behavior, she screams "MOM!" at the top of her lungs. She learned it from me when I was a teenager and lived with my parents. Now that she's picked it up I get to experience the joy of having a demanding teenager for the rest of my life!
AmazonServant
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon

Next

Return to General Parrot Care