Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this normal behavior?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Is this normal behavior?

Postby BrookeRose » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I put my female budgie Lacey Kisses :amazon: and my male budgie Hugs :monk: in a cage with a wooden bow and all the apropriate needs for them to mate :hatching: . They go in and out of the box to check it out. My male budgie knows some human birds and he will go right to the entrance hole of the wooden nesting box and say "Hi pretty birdie." And he will whistle and sing to the inside of the box while looking in. There are no eggs :hatching: and the female is outside the box. Also my female bird Lacey Kisses will chew and bite the corners of the box which I know this is normal and it means i should go to the pet store and buy some soft chewing wood for her :budgie: . I am not sure about the males behavior what does it mean? :meyers:
BrookeRose
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Is this normal behavior?

Postby viki » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:42 am

Iv been told by the breeder i bought my :senegal: from that a tame bird will never mate. if u want babies u need to get a wild male and dont bond with him. but iv been told that he would rape her as she would have no inerest. Im not sure how true this is but mayb they dont know what it is, and mayb the male likes to hear his echo...!?! sorry i cant help more
:greycockatiel: Little Bird the baby
:amazon: Lotto

:senegal: Skittles i will always love u and hold a place in my heart for u, after all u are my baby...be happy babe
viki
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Amazon
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:50 am

viki wrote:Iv been told by the breeder i bought my :senegal: from that a tame bird will never mate. if u want babies u need to get a wild male and dont bond with him.

That's not true.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby kahawia » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:05 am

viki wrote:Iv been told by the breeder i bought my :senegal: from that a tame bird will never mate. if u want babies u need to get a wild male and dont bond with him. but iv been told that he would rape her as she would have no inerest. Im not sure how true this is but mayb they dont know what it is, and mayb the male likes to hear his echo...!?! sorry i cant help more

No that is defiantly not true.
kahawia
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Caique Parrot

Postby Saerphe » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 am

I've heard of other birds having hours of fun with an echo chamber... maybe he likes the echos?

How old are your birds? They might not be ready to mate yet. It usually takes a few tries for them to get mating and nesting right. Give it a little time; they might yet come round. :)
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:32 pm

kahawia wrote:No that is defiantly not true.

What they said. My guess, and its a guess because I haven't bred birds at all, is that the male is expressing interest in and appreciation of the nest box, but they aren't ready to mate.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care