Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Looking for answers regarding my parrot's death

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Looking for answers regarding my parrot's death

Postby G_Major » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new hear and I was loking for help (as stated in the title of this thread). I came home from school today to find my beloved scarlet macaw of twelve years sprawled out across the floor of her cage, dead. This has been one of the saddest moments of my enire life :'( Underneath her was this long tube like shape that was a deep, almost blood red. It appears to have come out of her anus with a bit of droppings atratched to the end of it; the thought just horrifies me because of how large this object was (it spanned the lengh of her body) and she pooped the entire thing out :/. I personally think it may have been a tumor, but I an not he least bit sure. If anybody has an idea as to what might've been the cause of her death, the help would be greatly appreciated.
G_Major
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Scarlet Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Looking for answers regarding my parrot's death

Postby MandyG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:05 pm

The best answers you're going to get will be from taking her to the vet and getting a necropsy done. There may have been more than one factor that contributed to her death. I'm sorry that I have no other advice.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is devastating, especially one that has been with you for so long. I really hope you find the answers you are looking for and that they bring you at least a little peace of mind.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby G_Major » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:09 pm

We just decided it was best to simply bury her right away. Thank you for your sympathy, the kind words help ease the pain :,)
G_Major
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Scarlet Macaw

Postby Chris&Akilah » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Reading this made me feel numb, what a terrible thing to come home to.
But I think if you don't find out what happened, it will forever haunt you. As hard as it may be you should consider having someone (not you) exhume your parrot and take the body to the vets for a necropsy. What happened sounds alarming and mysterious, and it may save the life of someone else's parrot in the future if you find out the reason and share it.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Return to General Parrot Care