Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bonding in the wrong way?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Bonding in the wrong way?

Postby NancyJ » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:51 pm

I've been trying to re-bond and train my Galah but I'm worried that our bonding has turned... 'inappropriate'. I gave him his usual head strokes tonight and he seemed to get quite excited and started bobbing his head (just like our other cockatoo does when he wants to come over). I couldn't figure out what he wanted so I went to sit down again then he went over to the other side of his cage to one of his 'foraging' toys (not really foraging, there are 2 sliding platforms that prevent access to the treats). I figured he was excited because he heard me rustling the nut bag (I was going for treat in case he was in the mood for some more training) so I got a couple of peanuts and refilled his toy. While I was doing that he came over to the bars for more attention, I made kissy noises to his and he made them back and came and put his beak right up to the bars and let me kiss him - the first time we've had kisses in years. After I stopped he carried on making kisses noises and clicking his beak (up and down not the side to side crunching he does when he's sleepy) then he went up to his 'cuddle corner' - which he hasn't done in years (at least for me - will have to check with my mum when I talk to her later). He let me stroke his chest and we had more kisses - he carried on making kissy noises the whole time and he sometimes stretched out his wings -sometimes only one, sometimes both. He didn't want to stop but I told him it was bedtime, and put his cover most of the way on and he went off to his swing (he's always liked sleeping on a swing for some reason)

Back when he was a baby (when he still loved me unconditionally ;)) he always used to have kisses and cuddles before bed and plenty of cuddles in between - especially if I didn't have time to get him out, but that was pre-puberty and I don't remember him getting quite so excited about it. He liked his cuddles and would often go to his cuddle corner expectantly but he always seemed ready to nip if we touched him somewhere he didn't like - this time he let me stroke his chest and tickle him and there was no hint of fear or aggression - just kissy face.

I'm obviously enjoying the opportunity to cuddle my little boy and shower him with hugs and kisses but I don't want to be sexually frustrating him. I tried to google galah (and cockatoo) mating behavior but it didn't turn up much
NancyJ
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Rose-Breasted Cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: Bonding in the wrong way?

Postby Jenny » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm

I can't give any insight on Galah specific behaviour, but for what it's worth, during a recent presentation about hormonal behaviour from a local avian vet, I understood that during the spring/summer, or whenever your bird might be prone to hormonal surges, you shouldn't touch them anywhere but their head. That any touching of their wings, back, chest, etc are considered "flirtatious." I understand that you're not sure if your bird is exhibiting mating behaviour, but considering the time of year, I'd just play it safe & not go beyond kissy face/beak/head.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care