Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Thoughts on Multiple Birds...how do you feel?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Thoughts on Multiple Birds...how do you feel?

Postby Grey_Moon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:41 am

I've come to realize that for me, I don't condone or feel right having multiple parrots if they don't get along or at least are safe to have out/around each other.

Why?

Because it results in a constant undertone of stress for the birds because they are in proximity to each other and there is fear/aggression due to the fact they don't get along.

The biggest thing though of course is the reality of the stress to the birds and their relationship. If you ask me, a parrot deserves to go everywhere with their people that they can---because, as we all know we are their flock and parrots go *everywhere* with their flock. Camping, visiting, to the park, etc. Whatever it may be. They deserve to have dinners and breakfasts and family time or showers with their people.

Having two birds that don't get along means that you either dull both their lives in the name of equality or play favourites and be unfair. What I mean of course, is that, either I don't give either Jacko or Sully any of these things or I have to pick one and am left with the guilt of knowing somebody is left back in their cages in the house. I hate that. I feel terrible. Surely they deserve more and would be happier.

Otherwise it becomes a situation of rotations, juggling attention schedules and I find it takes the joy out of having parrots and from achieving that deep personal bond that a bird who goes everywhere and does everything with you develops. Partially because while you're hanging out with them you're thinking 'ok, Jacko's got another 15 minutes and then Sully comes out and then its time for bed for them' and feeling guilty about the lonely bird waiting in the cage for its turn. Or maybe thats just how I feel.

But, the likelihood of my birds getting along is basically non-existant. Even if they just learned to tolerate each other it would be foolish to have them both out at the same time because of their size differences---even a minor squabble would lead to injury or worse.

Also, as a really non-important side note. It makes everything so much more difficult. Costs are doubled and it is harder for multiple birds to be portable. For example, Jacko is fairly portable---pack her up, grab her travel cage and throw some toys/food in my overnight bag. WIth two or more suddenly though its so much more imposing and difficult to travel and have spontaneity and mobility---its so much more difficult to try and convince people to let me bring birds instead of bird.

It's this train of thought that makes me contemplate if perhaps I will reduce my flock to one even though Sully is healthy now. It just seems the right thing to do. How do those of you with multiple birds feel? Anyone know where I'm coming from? Or am I just crazy? :lol:
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Thoughts on Multiple Birds...how do you feel?

Postby Zoom » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:19 am

I have three - an amazon, a baby Grey and a lovebird. The lovebird and the baby Grey get along well. The Amazon's more of a loner. She prefers to keep her distance from the boys. I think she's annoyed by the lovebird and a little afraid of the Grey (he's also a little afraid of her).

While I understand your concerns, especially about taking one out somewhere and leaving the other one alone at home, I'm still finding it fairly easy to live with three of them. However, I don't take them places they don't need to go. My house is their world. I don't worry that they'll hurt each other, so I let them all out at once, and supervise.

I hope in time they'll all be friends. For now, there's a certain level of peaceful coexistence. We all work on training together, and other group activities, though the Amazon is more of a spectator than an active participant.

Maybe it'll get more difficult when the Grey gets a little older. He's by far the easiest of the three - he tends not to get into mischief, other than prying the keys off my laptop.

The funny thing is, I worry about them suspecting me of favouring one over another. I don't want any of them to feel they're not completely special to me. I watch my tone of voice, the quality and quantity of my interactions with them, how much time they each spend on me, etc., to make sure I'm not playing favourites. But the fact is, I actually don't have a favourite. (The lovebird spends more time on me, but that's just because he insists upon it. )

But you know....lots of birds are one-person birds, and it could be that there are one-bird persons too. You might be one of them!
Zoom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Peach-faced Lovebird
Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Congo African Grey
Flight: Yes

Return to General Parrot Care