Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help with bird with broken foot

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Need help with bird with broken foot

Postby Feverthepiggy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:26 am

I am asking for help about how to deal with an injured :greycockatiel: . My coworker just told me her 3 years old daughter accidentally step on their :greycockatiel: 's leg who is a few months old. :( It happened today and they are taking the bird to a vet. she just got the bird for a month or so and she has no clue how to deal with an injured bird in short and long term. Anyone have any advice? Thanks a lot!
Feverthepiggy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Indian Ringneck 4 months old. Same Birthday as me.
Flight: No

Re: Need help with bird with broken foot

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:39 am

Until they can get it to the vet, they should keep it in a small flat bottomed place (carrier is perfect) so that it does not walk around much. Sprinkle food on the bottom and place water nearby. Get to vet ASAP.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Feverthepiggy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 am

Thank you for the reply Michael. I told her to let me know ASAP what's the exam result after the vet visit. She is concerned also that she may not able to cover the cost of surgery or medicine. She lives in New York area and is wondering if anyone know a cheap place to treat bird injury. It's terrible to think that she may have to put the bird to sleep because she can't cover the costs. On another thought, maybe I should get my bird an insurance as well. :(
Feverthepiggy
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Lutino Indian Ringneck 4 months old. Same Birthday as me.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:36 am

Many vets will work out a payment plan. Treatment is likely to be splinting, meds and time I would guess. But I'm not a vet. Keep the bird warm as well as all the things Michael said. Not overheated, but you want to avoid chills.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:32 pm

I don't know exact pricing for that kind of stuff but I wanted to assure you that it's probably manageable. I ended up spending a bit over $1,000 when Truman was injured but this included several days of boarding, emergency feeding, xrays, medications, and extensive testing. I recommend you try avian and exotic vets in NYC. They are a bit over priced but the expertise and good service more than makes up for it and they don't nickle and dime you so it goes a long way. For the Cockatiel, a few hundred dollars worth of vet care may suffice. Mostly it just has to heal on its own, the vet just inspects, advises, and provides medication.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby moaely » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 am

I can tell from personal experience what happened with my budgie that had a broken foot. About 5 years ago the cage fall from the wall with the budgie inside and he got his foot broken. I imidietly took him to the vet where he simply use ducked tape and tape the leg whole to imobolize it. About 3 weeks after that i took the bird back and the vet took off the tape to reveal a healed leg. I didnt heal 100% but 85%

Hope it helped
moaely
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Sengal parrot

Return to General Parrot Care