Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

All Birds Need Toys

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

All Birds Need Toys

Postby HungryBird » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:41 am

I have noticed that some people think not all birds need toys. I do not believe this is true, not even a little bit. It seems that the smaller birds often get overlooked. Even the teeniest birds like parakeets and finches need toys and will enjoy them. Please do not tell people that these birds do not need toys or that all they need is one toy.

I have cockatiels, parakeets, and a Meyer's. They all get toys, a lot of them. All different types. Loud ones, chewable ones, foraging ones, knotted ones, shredding ones, preening ones, and plenty of other things that I'm sure I've forgotten. My parakeets are given just as much of a variety of toys as the other guys. Some they ignore for months before ripping apart. Some don't even last two days.

I do not have finches but I do believe they need toys as well and should absolutely have them. I bring toys and food to a group of birds (not my birds) and there are some finches that recently joined them. They are loving the toys available, especially ones with lots of straw sticking out.

So please don't forget to get toys for the little guys too! Waiting for you to get home all day can get kind of boring.
HungryBird
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Parakeets, Meyer's
Flight: Yes

Re: All Birds Need Toys

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:59 pm

I agree. The problem is that people think birds are dogs or cats, because neither of these species really *require* toys daily. I believe wooden/shreddable toys are an absolute necessity in the life of captive birds.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Re: All Birds Need Toys

Postby liz » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:35 pm

Any animal that is well fed and clean is happy and wants to play, no matter what species.
When I volunteered at the zoo, a goose was playing in her water bowl blowing bubbles. I put a plastic toy in the bowl and she would bobb it. The woman in charge of rehab took it out and told me that wild animals don't play. Sh--------------t.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care