Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Regrow Feathers?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Regrow Feathers?

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:17 am

Army.Wifey1990 wrote:I was told i have to brings my lil ones back every 6 weeks to get there wings re-clipped. Except im changing the place i get them done as im very unsatisfied. They did like a hack job on there wings it looks horrible.

Why?

Let them grow. If their flight becomes a problem you can trim the first 3 feathers to slow them down.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:24 am

Army.Wifey1990 wrote:I was told i have to brings my lil ones back every 6 weeks to get there wings re-clipped. Except im changing the place i get them done as im very unsatisfied. They did like a hack job on there wings it looks horrible.

Whoever said that is a filthy liar and just doing it for the money. I don't clip my parrots but based on their molt cycles it probably wouldn't be done more than once to twice a year. If you are dead set on clipping (which is terrible for the bird, don't get me started), you only need to do it when you see the primaries grown out. DON'T do it while they are still growing. They must be fully grown out before they can be cut. Clipped or not, do not take your parrot outside without proper restraint.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:51 am

Michael wrote:

Whoever said that is a filthy liar and just doing it for the money. I don't clip my parrots but based on their molt cycles it probably wouldn't be done more than once to twice a year. If you are dead set on clipping (which is terrible for the bird, don't get me started), you only need to do it when you see the primaries grown out. DON'T do it while they are still growing. They must be fully grown out before they can be cut. Clipped or not, do not take your parrot outside without proper restraint.

When I was young HA HA, and we had chickens that would fly into trees, my father would trim the fist four feathers on each wing so they couldn't get altitude.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby parrotlover » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:28 am

Wow that's stupid. I would have chewed their ass out about it. It's not like Human hair or anything. Because what if they get out of hand and cut one of those feathers that SHOULD NOT be cut off? Now the birds wing is either all f'ed up or it won't be able to do even a small fly to you or to its cage. And what if it becomes scared because it's feels like it's not balanced. Then those people will really be in a bind. lol! :lol: B ut yea I would definetly considergoing to a different place. Or try and do it yourself. :) (Probably wouldn't recomend lol) :lol: But good luck though!. I don't think I'm going to get my Tiels wings clipped though. I'd rather him be some-what potty trained.
I Love Chevy! :) Image
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Previous

Return to General Parrot Care