Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Not to Scream

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Not to Scream

Postby parrotlover » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 am

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how you got Kili to wave instead of screaming that she wants out. I would relly apreciate it because I want to be able to teach my Parakeet (when ever I get it) to do the same thing. Thank you! :)
I Love Chevy! :) Image
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Not to Scream

Postby AmazonServant » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:41 pm

I don't know about waving - the way to get her to stop screaming, though, is to not encourage or reward the behavior. So if she starts screaming, ignore her for a minute or two and don't approach the cage, make eye contact, or make any noise. Then you can give her attention after she has stopped screaming. I do this with my bird and she's gotten much better about not screaming MOM!!!!! at the top of her lungs whenever I leave the room. I'll give her attention when she talks or makes quieter sounds, though, so she's learned to say "step up?" and some other cute things instead of "MOM!!!!" when she wants attention. I'd recommend this over waving - firstly because I'd imagine that would be harder to teach the bird than just making little sounds, but also because if you're busy doing something you won't notice your bird waving at you as you would notice it chirping or talking. For now, since I understand that you're a new bird owner, I'd just focus on getting the bird comfortable with you and in its new surroundings, and not encouraging negative behavior. Once the bird's more settled in, then focus more closely on training.
AmazonServant
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Nape Amazon
Flight: No

Postby parrotlover » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:31 pm

Ah OK thank you! I just figured you can teach it to wave because that's what Michael said Kili does when she wants to get get out. :thumbsup:
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Postby liz » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 pm

parrotlover wrote:Ah OK thank you! I just figured you can teach it to wave because that's what Michael said Kili does when she wants to get get out. :thumbsup:

Baby birds flap their wings to get their parents attention. Usually while one is being fed the others are flapping.

Mine flap like a baby when they want something after they call me.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby parrotlover » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:24 pm

Oh OK cool! :lol:
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Postby Army.Wifey1990 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:19 am

My jenday conure will scream when he hears me gets up in the morning. Like "hi mom you can take my blanket off now" ( i cover my birds cages at night so there undisturbed as my husband and i are night people :) ...He will also scream as i get him fresh food and water first thing in the morning. then after that he only talks the rest of the day no more screaming.

My parrotlet i dont hear her verry much. She definetly doesnt scream. She does seem to "sing" in chirp though. Shes just a baby so that may change.
♥♪♥♪Jake♥♪♥♪Image
♥♪♥♪Kiki♥♪♥♪Image
♥♪♥♪Gabbi♥♪♥♪Image
Army.Wifey1990
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: -Jenday Conure
-Parotlet
-Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby parrotlover » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 am

Yea I read that Parrotlets aren't big noise birds. They're quite quiet as a Parakeet/Budgie. :)
parrotlover
Poicephalus

Return to General Parrot Care