Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Biting Eclectus

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Biting Eclectus

Postby geezer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:07 pm

:cry: I have had my female Eclectus for just over a month now and she is still biting me every chance she gets. If I have her step-up on a stick, she will not bite unless my hands get near her body. If she is on her cage or in her favorite spot on the floor, she will bite my hand if it gets near her. She displays hostility towards me in those situations. She loves to sit on my hand every night when I feed her her warm oatmeal and she will let me kiss her head when she is sitting on my hand, but most of the rest of the time, she acts like she hates me. I'm at a loss as to what to do!
geezer
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: No

Re: Biting Eclectus

Postby liz » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:35 pm

How old is she?
Where did you get her?
My Amazon Myrtle will let anyone come up and talk to her nose to beak if they keep their hands behind their back. She ducks when my hand goes near her unless she is calling me to pick her up.
It is not hate - it is fear and defense.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby geezer » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 pm

She is just 4 months old and I got her at a bird show from a breeder. I was told that the week before I bought her, some boys were poking her. She was a biter when I got her, but I thought she would settle down with some love. Maybe it will just take lots of time!
geezer
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: No

Postby sidech » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Is she biting you or "tasting" you? Birds use their beak as their bands. M'y Ekkie Will Grab my hand or finger Any chance he gets. But he is not biting. Apart from the first 3 weeks, he never bit me.

Since she enjoys sitting on your hand, i have a feeling she is not trying to bite you. You need to teach her to restrain the pressure on your finger or hand, that's all. I use gentle as a command and jazz knows it well now. When she puts too much pressure, slightly move your hand up to get her off balance while saying the word. She will get it really quick i'm sure.

Good luck.
sidech
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby liz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 am

sidech wrote:Is she biting you or "tasting" you? Birds use their beak as their bands. M'y Ekkie Will Grab my hand or finger Any chance he gets. But he is not biting. Apart from the first 3 weeks, he never bit me.

Since she enjoys sitting on your hand, i have a feeling she is not trying to bite you. You need to teach her to restrain the pressure on your finger or hand, that's all. I use gentle as a command and jazz knows it well now. When she puts too much pressure, slightly move your hand up to get her off balance while saying the word. She will get it really quick i'm sure.

Good luck.

Your right - it could be tasting, or even preening. Myrtle holds on with her beak and I can feel her little tounge touching me. Rambo does the same but he holds on tighter.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care