Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found a parrot on the street, what do I do with it?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Found a parrot on the street, what do I do with it?

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 am

They don't naturally go for the fruits/veggies. If it was fed that by the previous owner, it would work. But most Cockatiel owners just get the Cockatiel seed mix at the pet store and only feed that. If the bird was never fed fruits/veggies, it is unlikely that it will take it now. Getting a Cockatiel seed mix is your best bet. Practically all pet stores carry something like that.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby flytrap » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Well.. I've got some good news and some bad news. I took the bird to a bird vet. The way she handled it really impressed me. The bird was walking on her arm right away - it wouldn't let me touch it! She said it's a male and it's in not such a bad shape. The bird didn't eat anything because it was used to eating a special cockatiel mix and that's most likely the only thing it was fed and therefore it didn't recognize anything else as food. When she gave it some of that mix, it finally started eating. She also said that if I want, I can leave it there and they can find a good home for it. I took the easy way out and left it at the clinic (sorry if I disappoint you, Liz). If the owner shows up, I'll send him to the vet clinic.

So this the end of the story, I thank everybody for the help. I guess I won't be posting much here so good bye and good luck :)
flytrap
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Jenny » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:29 pm

you didn't take the easy way out, Flytrap - you could've just let the cats eat the tiel. Thank you so much for making the effort that you did!
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Michael » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Leaving the bird with the vet was the smart thing to do because now it will be the vet's responsibility. The bird is in experienced hands and has a good chance of finding the original owner or a new home. Thanks for saving this bird and going about it so well. Perhaps someday you will reflect on these days and decide you'd like your own bird after all, you know where to come for friendly help :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:55 pm

flytrap wrote:Well.. I've got some good news and some bad news. I took the bird to a bird vet. The way she handled it really impressed me. The bird was walking on her arm right away - it wouldn't let me touch it! She said it's a male and it's in not such a bad shape. The bird didn't eat anything because it was used to eating a special cockatiel mix and that's most likely the only thing it was fed and therefore it didn't recognize anything else as food. When she gave it some of that mix, it finally started eating. She also said that if I want, I can leave it there and they can find a good home for it. I took the easy way out and left it at the clinic (sorry if I disappoint you, Liz). If the owner shows up, I'll send him to the vet clinic.

So this the end of the story, I thank everybody for the help. I guess I won't be posting much here so good bye and good luck :)

You did not take the easy way out. You saved it's life, did the best you could for it and then got it professional help. That is above and beyond the easy way.

I am proud to know you. In the words of the little bird "thank you". He knows you helped.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby flytrap » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:58 pm

I chose the easy way from the plausible options. I did feel kinda bad leaving it there, but my intuition told me it's the right thing to do.
flytrap
Parrotlet

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 pm

You were not prepared to have a bird. You probably never even thought about it. You feel bad for leaving it not because you abandoned it but because you were getting attached to it. You did the best thing you could do at the time.

When you are ready I am sure you will make a very good "bird daddy". Keep in touch and enjoy the forum since you are already here. It is educational and entertaining. In case this is not the last time you do battle with a cat to save a bird, you will be one up on it.

Liz
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:52 pm

I took a finch from my daughter's cat this morning. I have little cages everywhere so I put it in with food and water and a perch. It did not eat but drank water.

When it perked up and looked like it was over the shock I just put the cage outside and opened the door. He flew away okay.

I have a 13 year old cat that has never killed. As a matter of fact when a female tiel would open the cage and let her mate out, Fancy would move it to a corner and block the other animals until I found her looking suspiciouse and checked the corner. She also used to bring me unharmed and unruffled birds from outside. I would take them out the front door and release them. One day I was not paying attention and then noticed her standing at the front door. She had a little bird and was waiting for me to open the door so it could be released in the front. We had a conversation about it and she stopped catching them.

My other cat, Princess Squeakie, brings me dead moles. She leaves them to the left side of the front door as presents. That I don't mind since my backyard is (was) full of them.

I don't know why I can't break Rachel's cats of catching birds.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby LemonLover » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:34 am

my friend onhere lost Willow her cockatiel and tht oen kinda looks ike her :/ mabye thts willow! I hope it is!
ImageWhiteout
Image Dimas
Image Lemon & Pluto
LemonLover
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, and Sun Conure
Flight: No

Postby flytrap » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:32 am

I doubt this is Willow, unless your friend lives in Tel Aviv, where I found this bird.
flytrap
Parrotlet

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care