Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

So much for flighted birds....

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

So much for flighted birds....

Postby Marnie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:37 pm

well i got to enjoy my flighted IRN for a short while, but today, my sweet Bette flew out the door.
i have not seen or heard a sound from her.
we just moved here 2 days ago and now live in the city. despite my best efforts, in all the hubub of moving, she got out the door.
no matter how hard i tried to prevent this, and how very diligent i tried to be, this happened anyways. my heart is broken for her, she loved me so.
please say a prayer for my little lost soul, i fear if not eaten by the many cats around here she will surely starve to death.

i should have clipped her
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Re: So much for flighted birds....

Postby GlassOnion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

And I disagree that you should've clipped her. Your lack of danger prevention is what killed her, and it's not fair that a bird has to be punished for your irresponsibility.

Please keep your bird caged when you are unsure whether there are openings.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot
Flight: Yes

Postby Jenny » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 pm

oh Marnie, I'm so sorry for you. :cry:
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Mum2rory » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 am

Clipping the wings would have made no difference. She still could have gotten out the door and still been eaten by the cats as she couldnt get any height and would have landed on the ground and been more of a target. At least flighted, she could get to higher areas and hopefully survive long enough to be found and returned or find a new home.
Budgies - Harry and Billy
Cinn GCC - Bailey
Blue Quaker - Malakai (Kai)
Cockatiel - Rhyly
Mum2rory
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies, 1 Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure, 1 Quaker , 1 Cockatiel (and 1 sadly missed Cockatiel who flew away Sept 24 2011. Miss you sweety)

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 am

Marnie wrote:well i got to enjoy my flighted IRN for a short while, but today, my sweet Bette flew out the door.
i have not seen or heard a sound from her.
we just moved here 2 days ago and now live in the city. despite my best efforts, in all the hubub of moving, she got out the door.
no matter how hard i tried to prevent this, and how very diligent i tried to be, this happened anyways. my heart is broken for her, she loved me so.
please say a prayer for my little lost soul, i fear if not eaten by the many cats around here she will surely starve to death.

i should have clipped her

sorry for your loss but really clipping your bird is punishing it for doing what birds do, like kids climbing trees or getting muddy. please dont punish your other birds by clipping them, instead make sure your birds are caged and the house is fully secure before letting them out.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:44 am

sorry about your bird but she does have a better chance of returning or surviving long enough to be found. i love having flighted birds its what their made fori even had my blue front :amazon: trained tio spend summers outside in a tree in my garden since i lost him this winter i havent been able to spend much time out there i get sad when i see his tree.he did fly off a couple times but never farther than neighbors and always returned home i dont recomend this to everyone it takes years to do. i hope your bird returns
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo

Postby Marnie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am

thanks, i hope so too. the fact that she is bright yellow helps her to stand out, if she starts talking that will attract attention, and hopefully the flight will keep her safe from cats.
her cage is still here in the kitchen and will be for a while in hopes she is found.
Marnie
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Postby liz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:20 am

Put the cage outside the door she went out. Call at just before sunrise and just before sunset when it is quieter outside and your voice will carry farther.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby meowingaround » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I really hope you find your baby.

I dunno though I mean I lost Willow from my own careless actions ie. assuming that just because he'd never gone by the entryway he wouldn't bother with it at all. And I lost him because of that.

I look at Windy and yes my first instinct was to clip. But I can't imagine being a bird who flew freely (inside) to being a clipped bird. That must cause serious psychological issues.

I would never declaw my cats, how can I possibly do worse to a bird.

Windy and I are clicker training, I will never not pay attention at the door again, not even for a second. But I will also make sure that Windy is trained to come back in the event it does happen.
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels

Postby Jenny » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:06 pm

I agree w/you meowing, the recent lost/found bird threads have really hit home w/me to zero in on the recall training w/my tiel. I remember that Michael had said that was the first "trick" he taught Kili...

Get teary every time I see posts from you & Marnie lately.

Btw, I never told you how sweet I think your (not new anymore!) avatar is.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Next

Return to General Parrot Care