Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

aggression because of changing hair color?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

aggression because of changing hair color?

Postby coral » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:19 pm

have any of you ever had an aggressive parrot who is bonded to you and nice to you but then once you change your hair color they act aggressive towards you to? because thats what martys doing im not sure if he doesnt recognize me or doesnt like it :/ any ideas?
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Re: aggression because of changing hair color?

Postby dohcsvt » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:31 am

I know that my daughter has a tiel and changers her hair color/length often and has never had a problem.
Stanley the Sun Conure :sun:
Ollie the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Stan and Ollie the great comedy duo, always making me chuckle!!
dohcsvt
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A green cheek conure and a sun conure.

Postby liz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 am

They know something is different. One lady had trouble with her bird when she had a towel on her head. Mytle will remove curlers because they don't belong.

Just keep on keepen on as if everything is normal and the bird will adjust.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby coral » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:25 am

okay :) and he gets aggressive when i have a towel or my hoodie over my head lol!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot

Postby liz » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:35 am

Try taking the towel off and giving it to him. Just like a kid he needs to investigate.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby coral » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:02 am

hes afraid of the towel because when he tries to bite someone i have to towel him to put him in his cage.. he actually chases people trying to bite their feet lol. not really sure how to stop this. and he got towled alot when i first got him because he was so sick he went to the vet alot and had to get medicne every day
coral
Poicephalus

Postby Saerphe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:02 am

Try training him to step up onto a stick. That way, when he gets aggressive you'll be able to put him back in his cage without getting bitten.

As for the towel, try letting him investigate it at his own pace. Put the towel near him, and give him treats. Gradually move the towel closer until you can touch him with it, and treat. Eventually, you should be able to wrap him up without any major drama, because he'll associate the towel with treats. It could take a long time to get him used to it though, especially with the negative associations he has with it now.
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:10 am

I don't really think so. I haven't changed hair color but I've worn costumes, wigs, etc with the birds (like Halloween or performing). They are smart and overcome that very quickly. They've been used to seeing me wearing different clothes every day for years so they know what to look for that stays consistent vs changing. I do think they are able to identify us by consistent things like the appearance of our faces and our hands as well as the sound of our voices. Even when I change my appearance, they will still recall to me and perform their tricks. I won't deny that they are curious about it all, but they are not aggressive and continue to treat me as the same person.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Myrtles first experience with a towel was at the vets. To get her over it - after a shower I towel myself off and with a small hand towel I wipe her feathers down. She has begun to enjoy her towel drying. (I bought her a shower perch and we shower together)
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Return to General Parrot Care