Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baby Brownheaded parrot - Joey

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Baby Brownheaded parrot - Joey

Postby Boman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:11 am

Hey all!

We picked up our 12 week old Brownhead parrot from the airport yesterday afternoon. He was at the back of the carrier most likely terrified after the long flight from Toronto to Vancouver. We took him home and he would not come out of the carrier on his own. He would growl with his mouth wide open when I entered his carrier but asked him to step up as I placed my finger to his breast and he did so without a problem :) He chirped very quietly and had a very small amount of water that I offered to him. He was, and still is this morning, just standing motionless in his cage up at the top near his tent. It must take a few days to get used to the new environment :? The breeder was great and did a good job socializing and weaning him tho. Joey (his name) hasn't eaten a thing but this should pass soon I suspect. He's got veggies, pellets, fruit, and a nurtiberry in his cage.

Does anyone have any advice? Should we keep him in the cage for a day or 2? He steps up without a problem but doesn't want to move around at all. Time will tell I guess.

Boman
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Baby Brownheaded parrot - Joey

Postby liz » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:28 am

He was taken from the only family he ever knew. There are no other birds near him.

He was put in a carrier and scared half out of his mind in a strange place with no other birds to calm him down.

His whole world has changed That is an awful lot for a baby to go through.

If he wants to stay in his carrier let him. Put food and water right outside the entrance to the carrier. He will come out.

Staying near and talking to him will start the bonding. Right now he needs someone to bond to.

You are now his whole world.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:51 pm

If he doesn't resist, and if it doesn't scare him more, I say you should take him out and let him know that you love him. Try to comfort him.

Because yes, he is terrified right now, and likely doesn't know how to cope. Baby birds are raised with other baby birds, and if this was a good breeder the bird hasn't ever been alone. This is likely the first time he has experienced a change, and the first time he has been solo by himself anywhere.

When I got my Sun Conure, she was basically traumatized. She didn't know what do do at all, and it wasn't until almost a full month later that she has opened up and started to communicate more.

I would watch carefully to see whether or not he's eating by himself, though. Sometimes when birds go through stress they regress and want to be handfed again.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Boman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:17 pm

Thanks for the help! Joey is doing great now. He's eating his pellets with peas and I offered a 1/4 of a pecan that he devoured lol! We had him out and chatted with him. Had him step up several times, watched TV together.. etc

All is well
Boman
Lovebird

Return to General Parrot Care