Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how do you keep ontop of... poop?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

how do you keep ontop of... poop?

Postby algebraic » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm

I am still toilet training my sun conure, when he poops on me I have been using wet wipes, but they don't really work... they just mush it in and make it worse. :shock:

what do you guys do to keep your clothes and lounge etc clean?
algebraic
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure, Jenday Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: how do you keep ontop of... poop?

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:01 pm

Just watch where you're stepping :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby laducockatiel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 am

My cockatiel used to poop on me alot :P but every time he did it on me, I would put him back on top of his cage, eventually he learned that if he pooped on me, he would have to go to his cage and that is not good. Now, when he is on my hand and he needs to poop, he hops right off me and poops on the sofa :lol: not perfect but nearly their LOL
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 am

Poop off prodcuts work well, as does this product that I distribute:

http://www.marketamerica.com/dianayang/ ... 074B3A223B

It's an enzyme-based cleaner that can be used in bird cages, and directly on you, as well on as clothes, carpet, etc. Can be sprayed in the air as well. Can also be used as a wash for dogs/cats, and/or sprayed directly on dogs/cats to eliminate odor, esp skunk odor. Great product, use it myself every day.

I used to just use clorox wipes for the poop, but I find that both those other products work much better for breaking down organic material, and don't smell caustic the way clorox does. I also don't worry about using them directly on the cage to do daily maintenance spot cleaning.

EDIT: changed url b/c I linked the wrong page.
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Cage Cleaner » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 am

Oh yes, further, I suggest investing in a handy vacuum. Not for poop specifically, but for vacuuming up pellet bits, feathers, etc that fall to the ground. I'm pretty neurotic when it comes to clean, but there is no way I am dragging heavy iron cages out on a weekly bases to hose them down. So I just vacuum the corners where dust/pellets/feathers drop, and do the hosing on a monthly basis.

Also, I don't know what you feed the birds, but if it is anything with dyes, the dyes will help the poop stain your clothes/upholstery, etc. If this is the case, consider switching to dye free, and preferably organic.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Conure_Concierge » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:43 am

Unless my FIDS have been eating fruit their poop isn't watery so it's easy to cleanup with a dry cleanex or paper towel, just don't rub it into the cloth/fabric. Touch the cleanex/papertowel to the poo and lift, or swipe sideways and lift. After you've lifted the bulk of the material you can go back with a damp papertowel and finish-up. I use a 1% hydrogen peroxide solution to clean up and I've never bleached any colors.

Consider Micro-fiber for any new furniture it's wonderful and super easy to clean-up.

Save his bigger wood chips to use to scrape the dried-cement off his cage grate; spending all that money on toys you might as well have an endless supply of tools.

1. Watch and learn you birds behavior just before he goes; ie:.. backing up, squating, getting antsy.

2. Praise your bird whenever he goes with "Potty... Good Boy" or whatever phrase you feel comfortable with.

3. Notice how often he goes and try to move him to a poo safe place before he goes; preferably the same place each time so he'll learn the que. Put him back on a perch, where you want him to go, about the time you think he'll need to releave himself again and say the "Potty" phrase. It may take a few hours, or a few weeks but it will eventually work. Also before you let him out of his cage each time, say the "Potty" phrase and give him half a minute to do his business.

My GCC is largely potty trained; I haven't really started with my Cape yet other than the "Potty" phrase whenever he goes. Small birds seem to be easier because they go more often, like clockwork, and you can work a lot of practice into any given day.

Good luck. :gcc: :cape: :)
Conure_Concierge
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Fancy GCC - pyrrhura molinae
UnCape - poicephalus fuscicollis fuscicollis

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:16 pm

In case you haven't seen this already, it's not only about potty training but also dealing with it: How to Potty Train Parrot
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby liz » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Scrape the dry stuff. Use "baby wipes" to clean the fresh stuff (they clean anything and it is hard to believe that we use them on babies). Don't use grate on the bottom of the cage. Instead use layers of newspaper. When you have a chance to walk by and see the first layer is dirty just remove it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to General Parrot Care