Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal advice for beginner please

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal advice for beginner please

Postby Roscully » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:07 pm

:senegal: I have 3 weeks ago taken on a Senegal I believe to be female and her male cockatiel friend. They have separate cages but have always been side by side. I have kept numerous rescue budgies and parakeets in an aviary but I have never had house birds before. These birds have been very well cared for and loved, the owner had to part with them through ill health. The cockatiel has a good vocabulary and the senegal can say 'what ya doing' and various whistles. Oh and they are both around 4 years old.
I have read the articles etc and I am confident I have the day to day care sorted. The problem I have is that everytime I go near the senegal she seems to see me as her mate! She clucks and fluffs herself up lifts her wings, bobs her head up and down and walks back and forth on her perch! I don't seem to be able to do anything with her can anybody please advise me? Will this pass? I am so looking forward to extending her vocabulary but at the mo all she seems to want is a mate.
Roscully
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 31
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal. 5 cockateils, 1 ringneck, 1 princess of wales and 24 budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Senegal advice for beginner please

Postby liz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Could she be asking you to let her out of her cage? Are these two used to playing together?

When Rambo does his spring thing we just try to ignore it. If he rubs a shoe we move our foot. It gets a little strange but eventually he goes out of season and becomes Rambo again.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Senegal advice for beginner please

Postby Roscully » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:33 pm

No she does this in and out of her cage. Maybe its just because I am new to her. They have out of cage time together but she is really jealous of the cockatiel and will nip him if she gets the chance. Hopefully it will pass!!
Roscully
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 31
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal. 5 cockateils, 1 ringneck, 1 princess of wales and 24 budgies

Return to General Parrot Care