Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Screaming, advice please..

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Senegal Screaming, advice please..

Postby Lizzie » Mon May 14, 2012 5:09 am

Advice needed please. My Senegal starts screaming as soon as I am out of his sight and he will scream until I return, for the past two months all I have done is ignore his screaming and I only re-enter the room when he has stopped which could some days take up to an hour but as soon as I leave again the screaming starts. Ignoring him does not seem to have any effect, is there something ells I could try?
Lizzie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: Senegal Screaming, advice please..

Postby cml » Mon May 14, 2012 5:58 am

Yes, you can replace the screaming with another sound!
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus
Flight: Yes

Postby Khaiqha » Mon May 14, 2012 7:40 am

My roommate taught my :irn: to wolf whistle, so about half her screams are replaced with those. You can also try food management, and only feed your bird when you leave.
Khaiqha
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine

Postby marie83 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 am

Or if you have shed loads of time I've heard that a few people have had success with specifically training the parrot not to scream by leaving the room and waiting for the bird to go quiet, going back in and rewarding it and doing that over and over again........ Frankly if your birds screaming for an hour at a time then I don't think it will work and you would need alot of time dedicated to just walking in and out of the room........zzzzzzzzzz, you may need a week off work or something lol.
Probably not an idea that is realistic for most people but I mentioned it because I know of one person who it has worked for (she didnt have a job)and seen a thread on it on another forum and it worked for the majority of people who found the time and patience for it. I'll try find the link when I get home from work and have more time.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby cml » Mon May 14, 2012 11:16 am

cml wrote:Yes, you can replace the screaming with another sound!

Here's how it works, I was taught how by Naurthon, another member here on the boards.

What you do is that you first identify a sound you find tolerable/cute that your bird does from time to time. It can be a wolf whistle, like in Khaiqa's case (and ours), or something different. It doesnt matter, as long as its loud enough for you to hear it.

Now comes the hard part, getting it into your parrots head that this is the only sound that will work.

You do this by COMPLETELY ignoring all screaming, and I mean completely, but as soon as you hear the sound you want to replace screaming with, you IMMEDIATLY RUN to your parrot and give them tons and tons of attention (not just a minute).

Its paramount that you respond directly, dont take time, but do actually RUN. Make a big fuss whenever you hear that sound. Ignore everything else completely.

For us it took about 3 days if I remember it correctly, to completely change screaming for us to whistling after us. He ALWAYS uses a wolf whistle as a contact call for me or my wife (he doesnt for Leroy though).

It can be done, but it requires you to be consequent and repsond fast. Good luck.
cml
African Grey

Postby ljeanne » Mon May 14, 2012 11:31 pm

marie83 wrote:Or if you have shed loads of time I've heard that a few people have had success with specifically training the parrot not to scream by leaving the room and waiting for the bird to go quiet, going back in and rewarding it and doing that over and over again........ Frankly if your birds screaming for an hour at a time then I don't think it will work and you would need alot of time dedicated to just walking in and out of the room........zzzzzzzzzz, you may need a week off work or something lol.
Probably not an idea that is realistic for most people but I mentioned it because I know of one person who it has worked for (she didnt have a job)and seen a thread on it on another forum and it worked for the majority of people who found the time and patience for it. I'll try find the link when I get home from work and have more time.

i tried that with my dog's barking...now he runs to the window barks his head off and runs to me for a treat. cool huh?
ljeanne
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 9
Types of Birds Owned: timneh grey, senegal parrot, and budgies
congo grey and blue front amazon, ducorps cockatoo, and princess of whales parakeet

Postby Lizzie » Tue May 15, 2012 1:35 am

Thank you for the advice, I will try this out and let you know how it goes although it might take a while because he rarely uses any other sound then the screech when he is calling me.
Lizzie
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby cml » Tue May 15, 2012 3:12 am

Lizzie wrote:Thank you for the advice, I will try this out and let you know how it goes although it might take a while because he rarely uses any other sound then the screech when he is calling me.

You should always give him attention, whether he is calling you, or just talking for himself . As soon as you hear that sound, no matter when, shower him with attention ;).
cml
African Grey

Postby marie83 » Tue May 15, 2012 3:26 am

ljeanne wrote:
marie83 wrote:Or if you have shed loads of time I've heard that a few people have had success with specifically training the parrot not to scream by leaving the room and waiting for the bird to go quiet, going back in and rewarding it and doing that over and over again........ Frankly if your birds screaming for an hour at a time then I don't think it will work and you would need alot of time dedicated to just walking in and out of the room........zzzzzzzzzz, you may need a week off work or something lol.

i tried that with my dog's barking...now he runs to the window barks his head off and runs to me for a treat. cool huh?

Lol!!, Animals are so smart. How did you react when he clicked on and came running up? Is he barking because you leave the room or because he has seen something outside?
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby flymehigh » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:45 am

marie83 wrote:Or if you have shed loads of time I've heard that a few people have had success with specifically training the parrot not to scream by leaving the room and waiting for the bird to go quiet, going back in and rewarding it and doing that over and over again........ Frankly if your birds screaming for an hour at a time then I don't think it screaming but no sound comes out dream will work and you would need alot of time dedicated to just walking in and out of the room........zzzzzzzzzz, you may need a week off work or something lol.

Thank you for your advice! This thread is older than most kids on the internet yet super helpful :hatched:
flymehigh
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Macaws, Senegal

Return to General Parrot Care