Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What size Aviator harness for a GCC?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: What size Aviator harness for a GCC?

Postby Andromeda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Okay, so I e-mailed Steve Hartman to try to get more details on the "slightly larger petite" but I didn't hear back from him for 10 days so I called them today. I didn't speak to him but the woman I spoke to was very knowledgeable and was able to answer my questions.

She said they re-vamped the entire line of petite and x-small sizes and made them slightly larger. I made sure she meant the collar was larger and she said it was. I asked her how much larger the collar was on the petite and she said it was 1/8" larger.

She told me if I ordered through the website to specify I wanted the "new, larger petite" since they still have some of the old ones. She didn't know if there was a comment box so she said after I placed the order I should e-mail them with the order number and let them know via e-mail that I wanted the larger one.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but they do free exchanges so if you have a petite that's too small for your GCC you might want to send it back and exchange it for the new one since the collar is larger.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Eurycerus » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:31 pm

Really? Is that only for if you bought it from their store though? I bought mine (their brand) from Dr. Fosters and the neck hole is pretty darn small.
Eurycerus
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegals

Postby Andromeda » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Eurycerus wrote:Really? Is that only for if you bought it from their store though? I bought mine (their brand) from Dr. Fosters and the neck hole is pretty darn small.

All they said in the e-mail was "all you need do is return the one you have with a note of what you need and we will resend the next day" and "we offer free exchanges so if you need a different size there is no charge" so it sounds like as long as it's an Aviator Harness you should be able to exchange it.

E-mail them to double-check about the x-small size increase, though. I definitely heard her say they made both the petite and the x-small harnesses larger but I only asked about the petite so I just want you to be sure before you return yours. :-)

You can e-mail Steve Hartman (sales@theparrotuniversity.com) but honestly if you are in the U.S. it's way faster to call them (740-965-1965). I just checked my call history and I was only on the phone with them for ~3 minutes and they still answered all my questions.
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure

Postby marie83 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 am

I've lost me petite sized harness, I was looking for it when we were talking about the collar sizes so I could do a comparison in measurements for you. I have a feeling Its been accidently thrown away as I put it back in the package and the other day I was throwing some toy packaging out, I guess I thought it was the empty box. I'm really annoyed at myself, turned the flat upside down looking for it n its defo not here. I guess I could try to exchange the xs but I wanted to keep hold of that grrrrrr.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby marie83 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:28 am

OMG, I've just looked up from typing the previous message and guess whats sat in front of me? yep you guessed right. I cleared everything off this table and put it back on 3 entire times lol. I'll do the size comparison after all then...
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby friend2parrots » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 pm

This is exciting news. I'm going to order one of the new petites. Thanks for following up on this Andromeda!
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby marie83 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Have you guys got your harnesses yet, if so have you begun training and how is it going?

I just started getting Ollie used to the collar part again. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but I feel like I'm never going to find out whats wrong with them and he seems okish at the moment. I feel it will benefit him if I can get him out more often.
All is going well so far, he has eaten most of a meal on my lap with the collar around his neck. I'm worried about progressing as that is where it all fell apart last time lol.
marie83
Cockatoo

Postby LadySaphine » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 pm

I really want to get Peanut onto harness training but I'm kinda stuck. Like Andromeda and Marie said, Peanut just LOVES to cuddle! I cup my hand next to her and she's like a magnet, just leans in! :lol: She will also go to the top of her cage, which is against a wall, and lean on the wall! What a silly bird! :roll:

But she nips me and makes her disgruntled little noise when I try to touch her feet, and she's allowed me to touch her wings but not for very long. I'll think I'll do what Marie did and see if she gets used to it.

:gcc:
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Postby janetafloat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 am

You need to do a significant amount of training with your bird so she's entirely comfortable with you touching and opening her wings before you try putting on the harness, otherwise you might get it on her but she'll quickly develop an aversion to the process. It's putting on/taking off part that birds dislike so much because there's a lot of fiddling about involved and the bird needs to be very comfortable with being handled.
janetafloat
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby LadySaphine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 am

janetafloat wrote:You need to do a significant amount of training with your bird so she's entirely comfortable with you touching and opening her wings before you try putting on the harness, otherwise you might get it on her but she'll quickly develop an aversion to the process. It's putting on/taking off part that birds dislike so much because there's a lot of fiddling about involved and the bird needs to be very comfortable with being handled.

Yeah, I saw that watching Micheal's videos and Kili. Guess I have to either buy more or make my own treats, I ran out unexpectedly (apparently Peanut knows the exact location of the treat jar. :roll: Yeah, she's gonna be on pellets and fruit for a while.) I really like Marie's idea of accumulating them to be touched on the wings. I suppose it's the feet I might run in trouble with.
Peanut - :gcc: Yellow-sided Green Cheeked Conure. Rest in peace, my Peanut.
PJ- :bluebudgie: Cobalt Budgie
Steve- Image Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet
LadySaphine
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Turquoise Lineolated Parakeet, two button quail hens

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY