Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Air Filtration

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Air Filtration

Postby myakando » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:14 pm

I agree with Michael.... all parrot owners should have some sort of good quality air purification system. We owe it to ur birds :thumbsup:
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby TheNzJessie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:15 am

our whole house has a hrv system. purifies the air and takes the moisture out

picture:
u can see the air vent its in my room and your able to push it up so it closes when my birds are out. the hrv system costs about $5000 but its worth it and there is a air vent in every room. you clean the filter once every 3 months

Last edited by TheNzJessie on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:34 am

so ive decided i should get one. in additon to skeeter i also have a rat cage and ive noticed my room does have alittle animal smell and it does seem sort of dusty around skeeters cage which is also the area i sleep so ya ive decided to get one. thing is....... 150 dollars and up is pretty expensive. something a little cheaper would be nice. i was looking and i really wanted one with a permanent filter you know? and my room is a bout 10x12 maybe a little bigger. so what is a good one? i found osme for 50 or so dollars but has mixed reviews. any suggestions?
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am

Don't buy the cheap ones, they suck (and not the air for filtration). I started out with a cheap one for like $60 and didn't like it and still have it but pretty much never use it. I have one that is really powerful but quite noisy. This one I mostly use during the day when I'm not home. Another one I have is quiet enough in the low setting that I use it 24/7. Even though it's on low, the length of time it is running helps.

This is the one I have and I really like it. It's quiet and effective. It can be put on swing mode where it spins side to side or lock in one direction. When I take the birds outside I turn it up to full blast but keep it on low 24/7. Don't waste your money on a cheap one that you won't like to use anyway. Perhaps save up for a bit and get this for the long run. I ended up wasting money on the cheap one because I had to replace it with a good one anyway. Shop around though, you may be able to find a better price on the same unit elsewhere.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:11 pm

ok thanks! in the time being does having your windows open help at all or not?
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby rtaylor » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:54 am

Yeah, that outside air gets inside somehow. It's not the filters, it's the car.

Ross
rtaylor
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Postby Alcatraz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:44 pm

It stay away from the machines and use several indoor plants
Alcatraz
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No