Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

aviator flight harness for sunconure?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

aviator flight harness for sunconure?

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 26, 2010 7:10 pm

so summer is almost here and i wanted skeeter to be able to go outside safely and i am going to buy an aviator flight harness since that is what everyone seems to be getting and so everyone knows i have a sunconure so what size would be best for him? i was wondering what size kili wears since a senegal ans sunconure are about the same size? thanks!!!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: aviator flight harness for sunconure?

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 26, 2010 7:15 pm

also where is a good place to get them online?
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Postby pchela » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

You want x-small for your Sun. You can get them at amazon.com or you might want to do a google search to find the best price. I think they are normally around $30.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Michael » Wed May 26, 2010 11:37 pm

I just ordered one for my Cape. If you order from Steve Hartman directly, he gives you free shipping which is a good deal. I should be getting mine any day now.

Kili is 120g and the X-Small harness is a bit too big for her. It's like someone who normally wears Medium, putting on a Large shirt. It's not a safety concern as the straps tighten but I would not put any parrot smaller in this size of harness.

Don't rush the harness training process to get outside to enjoy the weather. This is why I started harness training back in like March. Take your time and don't take the parrot outside till it is comfortable in the harness.

A few notes:

A) Never just hold the leash, in fact, never even put it on your wrist. Get a locking clip and clip the leash to your belt. Too many people have lost harnessed birds by letting go by accident.

B) If your parrot is flighted, you want to make sure you have solid indoor recall before taking outside on harness. I'd say harness is safe for two categories of birds: clipped and recall trained. The worst category is the parrots that fly but have no recall training at all. Those are the ones you have to worry about.

C) Don't fly the bird on the harness till it is quite comfortable simply being outside. Take it out frequently but not too long in duration. Start with 5-10 minutes and work your way up to an hour. Don't overwhelm it and don't allow the outdoor experience to be bad cause it will dred the harness.

D) Be sure to keep the harness experience positive. Don't just put it on the bird when you get it but follow my training steps for making the bird put it on willingly. You can look at the DVD that comes with it but don't go by that. The positive/negative reinforcement works out better and reduces the likelihood of pissing the bird off and making it scared of harness. Not that Kili is thrilled to wear it but she never flies away from it anymore or resists putting it on.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu May 27, 2010 5:42 am

ok thanks i will try that! thank goodness i didnt buy the medium since that is what some websites said would be good for a sun. dont worry i definately wont rush into it and if i dont get him trained well enough for the summer then its okay. :)
Last edited by skeetersunconure on Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Thu May 27, 2010 9:42 am

They have a picture of Sun Conure representing the X-Small for it! I'm getting the Small for my Cape parrot. Medium is for large cockatoos and such.
Michael
Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu May 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Michael wrote:They have a picture of Sun Conure representing the X-Small for it! I'm getting the Small for my Cape parrot. Medium is for large cockatoos and such.
not on some sites. one site said that under sunconures it had a medium posted :? but on the site that that you told me about it did have a sunny. ;)
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Thu May 27, 2010 4:21 pm

That is the official site for them. I bought the one for Cape from them right now. I didn't get it yet so must be tomorrow.
Michael
Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu May 27, 2010 4:32 pm

i am going to order right after this! P.S are you going to post a video of training baby cape to accept it? :)
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Postby Michael » Thu May 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Yeah but I probably won't need to. It's a baby and the breeder promised to work with the bird a bit as well. Steve Hartman offered to send Jean a free kit of harnesses and straps when I was discussing my order with him. "Cape" isn't exactly a standard size :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY