Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Suggestions on a playplace

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Suggestions on a playplace

Postby jhuff » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Binx had a playplace that was A) too small B) Table top, which caused all types of problems and C) Completely wood, which he chewed the wood to pieces, including the swing, the stick the bell hung from, and the last thing before we threw it away, the perches where he stands. Here is a picture..

We threw it away this past Saturday, we couldnt take it anymore. Now My husband and I are trying to decide between the next two..

#1 Image

And

#2 Image

There are clear differences in the two, however, some that you cant see, A- Price, theres a difference of about 20 or so dollars. One is made from the same company and store i bought Binx' cage from, the other is from PetSmart. I like both, on #2 my only issue is, the ladder has very small wire rungs, whereas binx is used to a thicker rung, I know he would use it, BUT is that good for his feet?

Wanting the opinion of the fine people on this forum. You all have not walked me down the wrong path so far. :D
Also, is you have another Playplace you think may be better, please let me know. Price IS an issue, i do not want to pay more than 140.00

:senegal:
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Suggestions on a playplace

Postby pchela » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Of those two I'd pick the second one. The first one is just a wood dowel with no place for him to crawl around and play. It's really more of a t stand than a playstand and would be more suitable as a training perch.

I personally like the natural wood playstands. They can get expensive but I have seen several on Craigslist lately for really good prices. If you lived near me I'd sell you mine!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:27 am

pchela wrote:Of those two I'd pick the second one. The first one is just a wood dowel with no place for him to crawl around and play. It's really more of a t stand than a playstand and would be more suitable as a training perch.

I personally like the natural wood playstands. They can get expensive but I have seen several on Craigslist lately for really good prices.

I completely agree with you! The second one is pretty sweet ;)
We are ordering a play tree made from java and coffee woods in the next couple weeks from our local bird store. I would buy one from their in the store stock or from craigslist, but there is no real way of sterilizing wood (esp of that size!) and I'm too nervous to go the "used" route.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby jhuff » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:28 am

I personally favored the second one. :-) To be honest, its the cheaper one. Selling for 119.99 @ petsmart!
Thank you for the suggestions, anymore would be welcomed.
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Brittanyv326 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:32 am

It is also for sale from a different website for $90. I've been looking at the second one since before I got my bird and just recently bought it used from craigslist for $65. My bird absolutely loves it. Those rings on the top are so strong, I put a natural wood perch through with the washers and that's her spot. That dowel across the top is replaceable. The bowls are HUGE and I think ceramic. She doesn't have problems with the ladder rungs, she gets from top to bottom and bottom to top totally fine. Also, the perches next to the bowls can be replaced too! So all in all, I rate this thing A+!

For sale for $90:
http://www.pet-dog.com/Pet-Supplies/pc/ ... duct=13116

Maybe later I'll post some pictures of her playing on it..
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby Banksie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:51 am

I don't think you can go wrong with:

My Senegal, Monkey, gets hours and hours of fun out of these things!
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:29 am

I think the 2nd option is the bettter one too. :thumbsup:

You could try wrapping the rungs with vet wrap...that will make them a bit thicker and easier to grip...but I think he'd get used to the wire rungs. For that bit of climbing the narrow diametre of the wire shouldn't matter too much.

I also had that first wooden playstand that you showed. I thought it was great that the birds chewed it up - since that's what wooden toys are for...BUT I couldn't keep it clean! It was next to impossible.

I'm still looking for a table-top stand that meets my criteria. Can't seem to find one.

I know birds like bright colours (so do I)...but I'm tired of all bird toys looking like baby toys. Can't we get some more 'adult' styled bird merchandise? :roll:
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby skeetersunconure » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 am

i have the wood one that you mention but skeeter never liked it :shock: i dont know why so i made him a climbing net and he likes that okay although he just really prefers me playing with him but i really would like to find something he really likes to play on
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11 pm

As Banksie pointed out, a computer keyboard provides hours of fun at my house.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby lainmai » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Oh boy, I picked up the EXACT same wooden tabletop for my Parrotlet and figured it would do for my Sennie since my 'Let never wanted anything to do with it....maybe I should just put it away for future use when (eventually) the day comes that I have little baby 'Lets needing a place to play!
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY